Soon-to-be Moment owner questions...Support

Last Updated:

1. Skatter

Skatter Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm up for an early upgrade via Sprint as of July 1st (yay!) and I'm looking to make the hop from my Crackberry Curve to an Android based phone. Was comparing the HTC Hero and the Samsung Moment and I'm liking what I see. However, friends are warning me away from the Moment because of the slide-out keyboard.

Now, I like touch screen keyboards (I own an iPod touch and an iPad, go figure...and if Sprint had an iPhone I'd go with that. But I digress!) but my Crackberry has rather spoiled me for physical keyboards on my phone.

My question is this: How is the quality of the Moment's keyboard? I don't ask as far as the keyboard itself, really, but rather the durability. Anyone had major problems over time with it becoming nonresponsive, the keyboard slider getting wonky, things like that? And if this DOES happen, does the Moment have native touchscreen keyboard useability if this happens?

Again, I'm rather a newbie to the whole Android platform and would like to know...I played with both at my local Sprint store, but the demo units were so banged up and decrepit that I hesitate to make a judgement based on those. >.<

Thanks! Oh...and with the new 2.1 update, does the Moment support accessing the contents of the MicroSD card via USB? I've read that previous releases didn't allow this, which would be painful for me since I don't actually own a regular MicroSD card reader or any reader at all other than my Blackberry. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. GodCountryND

GodCountryND Well-Known Member

Get the EVO

3. kzoo

kzoo Well-Known Member

Love my moment. I use the keyboard for most everything since I tend to fat finger the other one. (Or I use voice to text and dont type at all).

Running Dearmas' lightning rom and it is very stable and smooth.

4. Skatter

Evo isn't an option, as its WAY more than I want to spend, plus I don't want the extra $10/month Evo surcharge on my bill.

I don't plan on installing any ROMs other than the standard Android 2.1 upgrade available (assuming it isn't already on the phone when I get it) so I'm curious about other peoples impressions of how the phone runs with the stock firmware, and if the slide-out keyboard works well even after a few months of useage.

Thanks for the replies!

5. mjnoles1

mjnoles1 Well-Known Member

I would hold off on the first generation Samsung Moment as it has some bugs/glitches from all the research I have done.

Just wait a little, the Samsung Moment 2 (aka Samsung Intercept M910) is coming out supposedly July 11th.

6. GodCountryND

LOL, sorry wasnt trying to be a jerk. I have been using my Moment since Jan and they keyboard is still working very well. Not only is it still holding up, but I like typing on it. The stock 2.1 is much better than the 1.5 was.

Also, just got back from the Sprint store. Damn that EVO is barley smaller than an iPad! I wouldnt want that thing in my pocket.

7. Skatter

*grin* No worries, GodCountry. Congrats on the EVO, I have to admit that I AM still giving possiblity to snagging one, even with the extra $10 EVO tax a month. I'm not, and won't be in a 4G area for quite some time, but it DOES look sweet as hell...

Maybe I'll go play with one at the local Sprint Store tonight or tomorrow. Heck...I DO get an employee discount from my company, so really the extra $10 a month would only be $7.50....Hmm...

And I'll keep an eye out for any Moment 2 news!

8. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was much bigger than the moment it replaced. It is definitely a little bit lighter than my moment.

9. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

The keyboard's fine durability wise. I may have some issues with Samsung, but build quality isn't one of them. I don't know where you read about accessing the sd card being part of 2.1, it's been part of Android from the start. Plug the usb cable into the phone, mount the sd card from the pull down notification menu and the card will appear as a drive on your (windows)pc. If I were buying today, I would look out for the data lockup problems. If the phone looses data connections requiring a reboot to fix, get the phone replaced. If the phone goes into airplane mode without any reason, get it replaced. If the gps has weak reception, get another unit that doesn't. All these issues seem to be hardware related and probably won't be resolved with any future software update. The longer you wait to address them, the better chance you'll be stuck with them. This is not meant to scare you, every device has its issues.

10. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member

I've had it for about 5 months now, and I have the means to get any Sprint phone I want at any service rate at anytime. I have the phone on for work 24/7. I take work calls at all times of the night, weekends, vacation whatever. I made the decision that I will have what ever phone I want, since it's attached to me like a tumor. I may get an Evo, but likely not for a little while, I still have to check out the size. I can tell you that the Moment was kind of crappy at first, but now I'm very happy with it (thanks to 2.1 and SDX). The Joeykrim's kernel makes the battery life on par with my Blackberries I had in the past. It is much better than the Pre. The keyboard works as good as it did when it was new. It would be a hard pill to swallow to get it now though knowing that the Moment 2 is so close, but it's a really good phone for $100.

11. Skatter

Duratime and everyone else, thanks for the input! I believe that I WILL be getting the Moment come July 1st, unless news about its successor wows me completely.

And Pastafarian? May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage. rAmen.

pastafarian likes this.
  12. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

There is an onscreen keyboard as well as the physical, I use the physical mostly but thats my preference.

13. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

The keyboard is very well built and works very well....quite possibly one of the best in the business.

And sizewise ref EVO, it seems lighter than the Moment and it is definitely skinnier.

14. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I'm surprised noone mentioned the fatal flaws of the moment...

Well first off, the airplane mode/data lockup. The phone seems to randomly enter airplane mode and you can't fix it without a reboot. So sometimes its hours and missed calls/texts before you even notice.

Gps. Gps still stinks.

Battery life, I'm lucky to get 12 hours with light use, medium to heavy use? Forget about it.

I wouldn't wait for the samsung impression(moment 2) if the evo is not for you. It can't be any worse than the moment.

Personally, samsung lost all my smartphone business.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

15. Skatter

Hmm...I wasn't aware of these problems previously. Not a fan of the whole airplane mode thing, though if that's fixed with Android 2.1 on the device, I'll be happy.

See, my only two Android choices are the Hero and the Moment (or the EVO if I want to blow THAT much money)...unless I wait a few months and see what else comes down the chute to Sprint. *sigh* I'm too bloody impatient, that's for sure...and I don't want to jump carriers just for a nice shiny new Android phone without bugs or hiccups. I like the keyboard on the moment and the touchpad...I heartily dislike the Hero's trackball, having gotten VERY tired of the one on my Crackberry.

*shrug* Guess we'll see what happens come July 1st with announcements and such! And not to raise any hackles here, but if the iPhone was on Sprint...I wouldn't even be in this forum right now. *sigh* Them's the breaks, I guess.

Still! No crying over idiotic carrier-exclusivity agreements. I'm happy with my Blackberry Curve (except for how bloody slow it is) but I know I'll be a lot happier with an Android based phone. *goes to read more EVO reviews...*

16. IOWA

First let me say, iPhone is seriously over hyped. Android quite literally runs circles around it. Especially devices like the evo & incredible.

But I digress.

I can confirm for you, that the airplane issue has not been corrected with 2.1.

I've run 2.1 stock, rooted, modded, themed, and rom'd. Airplane bug is persistent none-the-less. I do not recommend this phone to anyone.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

17. GodCountryND

Just exchange the phone if you get the airplane mode. I personally have never had it happen once since I got it 6 months ago.

BTW, I was talking to a rep at the Sprint store a little earlier and they are telling people that the EVO can expect FOUR hours of battery with normal use. FOUR. Ouch.

18. IOWA

4 Hours running Wifi hotspot and 4G.... That's not considered normal use.

19. dwolf312

dwolf312 Well-Known Member

None of the flaws were mention? They are right here and like he say's if you have any of the issues get it replaced I myself have had the phone for about 8 months and I've done stock, rooted, and just about everything and had none of them so they are all just random.

pastafarian likes this.
  20. Ms_Kady

Ms_Kady Well-Known Member

Agreed. However, if you have to choose between the Moment or the Hero, get the Hero. There is just more product support for the HTC devices.

21. IOWA

The hero isn't going to be supported any further. It's near End of Life.

22. Skatter

First, to whoever mentioned that the iPhone is meh...keep in mind that I'm a big Apple fan, love my iPod touch and would love to combine it and my phone by just having a bloody iPhone. I like the device, and feel no need to trash it. ;)

Second...honestly, right now I'm totally stuck between the Hero and the EVO. I'm giving the Moment a miss, I'm afraid. Its a nice looking phone, but...I just got to play with an EVO today and I'm very much aiming for it come July 1st...but the Hero will be a close second.

Thanks for all the input and feedback, folks!

23. NoJive

NoJive Member

Just wanted to throw my 0.02 in. I just got a Hero last Sunday, and love it....except for the battery life. Coming from a TP2, this is horrible, fully charged @ 9:00, dead by 7:00! I was looking at the Moment as well, as I like the slide out keyboard. The EVO is just too big. I am wondering if any Android phones have decent battery life, or is it just the OS?

Jive