sooo where is the advertisement?

Last Updated:

1. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so i have YET to see a single commercial! i know this phone is already doing well based on pre-orders but i guarantee that's mostly nerds/gadget geeks like us... as soon as we have ours who is gonna buy it if no one knows about it.. the general public still doesn't know about this phone and WON'T unless sprint advertises for it!!! i don't get it, i really thought they were gonna knock everyone on their ass with this phone but looks like typical sprint fashion to find a way to mess something amazing up in terms of potential.

i'm hoping they are just waiting because they only have enough to fill the pre-orders so there is no point in advertising to an already sold out phone, but they do need to start advertising on launch day at the latest so people will buy them during the second wave

Advertisement
  2. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

SERIOUSLY!! Is Sprint waiting for us to show off our phones to the public to get the news out? Also - it's getting frustrating seeing how much press and commercials Verizon is putting out for the Incredible.

3. Leodoc

Leodoc Well-Known Member

agreed. Been quite surprised by the lack of commercials. Less than a week left and i have seen zilch on TV about it....

4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I don't expect to see most ads until 3-5 business days after WWDC and iPhone announcement is officially made. Otherwise, it'll be a waste.

I do think there will be a few ads touting that the Evo is here this weekend though.

5. Rigmaster

You don't think the Qik and hotspotting isn't a type of marketing? I think Sprint backed off charging for those because there are going to be tons of people posting stuff on YouTube. And that's going to be absolutely free marketing and advertising!

6. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yea but nothing beets shoving it in the masses face like a 30 sec spot on TV... just look at the DROID... WOW sellout crowd there.. that was a HIT and purely because of advertising

7. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I have run into quite a few people who were talking about this phone. Granted they still call it "that new Droid on Sprint with the portable hotspot" but it's something. These are folks who I never would have expected to hear about new gadgets. Granted I had to tell a few people about PDANet/Easytether/etc. so they don't go shelling out $30/month for something smart phones have been doing for years but it's nice to see word getting out.

8. Rigmaster

I don't think Sprint/HTC are willing to dump hundreds of millions into it like Droid. VZW/Moto need and still need Droid to continue to sell, and a lot of the recent ads have a complementary price drop or BOGO to go with them. Evo's not there yet. I don't think Sprint wins comparing itself to VZW because I don't see HTC wanting to have Incredible vs Evo. HTC wants to sell to anyone who'll buy.

What I think Sprint should do is run ads directly at iPhone/ATT after iPhone's released. Something like - getting 4G yet, hit your cap yet, really multi-tasking yet, getting better network connections yet, paying less for your plans yet?

9. aliveon2legs

aliveon2legs Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it is Google, not Verizon that has done all of the commercial advertising for the Moto Droid and now the Droid Inc. Google isn't going to step on their own feet. I'd imagine after the EVO is officially available, you'll start seeing it replace the Droid Inc in the Shatner commercials, just as the Inc replaced the Moto Droid.

10. Rigmaster

VZW & Moto combined to spend $200M for advertising the Droid. I don't have the post, but if you Google it (ha ha), you'll see that Google wasn't involved with the Droid. LucasFilm owns the Droid name so a chunk of that money went from VZW to LucasFilm for using it for the Moto and Droid Incredible.

VZWs the one really invested in the "Droid" name.

11. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member

i didnt see incredible ads til after its release

12. Rigmaster

Don't think VZW had settled how much it would be paying to use "Droid" Incredible in ads until almost/just after launch.

At some point, VZWs going to have to do something about it's use of "Droid." It's flat out costly.

13. Joppie

Joppie Well-Known Member

I dunno... sounds like a marketing win if you ask me. Besides, there won't be enough EVOs to go around the first few days anyway. I expect Sprint to start running commercials by Friday, but if not, just think of the buzz the phones will cause. I'm sure I'll be the only one in my office (I.T. shop) with an EVO. Everybody here sucks the iPhone teet and refuses to let go. That'll change at lunch next week when they're using the hotspot functionality of my EVO!

<laughs sadistically>

Sprint will blitz the public with DROID-like ads in no time... watch!

14. Rigmaster

Got some friends in the iPhone camp. I'm going to hotspot them, let them cruise for about 10 mins on 4G. Then I'm shuttin' it down on them. This will let me, the non-IT guy strike back. Then I'm going to tell them it's payback for all those stupid "reboot" fixes I've had to live with for so many years!:D

15. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

Im 100% positive there were no Incredible commercials til after it was launched.

And lets remember there was a shorter time frame between preorder for and release for the Incredible than the EVO.

That being said....if its true that most RS's and BB's are already on their 2nd shipment preorders(Atleast I know my BB is) then why advertise a phone that you are going to be already short on inventory on release day?

Nothing worse than having customer's see a something on TV, run to a store...just to hear they cant get it right now.

Sprint would fall into the same mistake Verizon has right now with the Incredible.

Best...IMO...thing to do as far as full on commercialing is get your launch inventory out...see what Apple brings on the 7th, and if(Which I suspect) the EVO is still unmatched, then roll out a full advertisement.

Why play all your cards when you still have the upper hand? Apple still has to match up to what the EVO can do.

clambert1273, ekt8750 and WRSmith2PhD like this.
  16. bbenny

bbenny Member

your exactly right about advertising for something you can't get today. In fact, thats the reason i am getting an evo in the first place!

Tried to get an HD2 from t-mobile on launch day, and couldn't. I still had to watch their damn commercials for 2 months after release (march 24th). Funny story, i got on about 15 waiting lists with t-mobile, and the calls that they have an HD2 for me literally started last week!

17. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this phone to a bunch of friends and one guy know about it. Maybe because I'm the only one who keeps up on new electronic info.

I'm sure Sprint will start to advertise on or AFTER the launch date though

What I think it unfortunate (but good for apple) is when the new iPhone is announced, you'll see the story all over the news. But when HTC EVO 4G was announced, I only saw it on CNET, Engaget, etc.

18. ZombieRace

ZombieRace Member

Word of mouth is a powerful media.

clambert1273 and WRSmith2PhD like this.
  19. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

Dont get me wrong,the new Incredible commercial is pretty badass.....but how much is that costing Verizon, especially in royalties?

They are spending alot of money on a phone that cant even get shipped out right now.

Last I remember reading on here is that they wont be shipped out again until the 22nd??

So its all great seeing how cool the Incredible is...but whats the point if you cant get your hands on it??

I think the new iPhone will hurt Verizon and the Incredible more than it will hurt the EVO.

20. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

The evo wonder boy said the media blitz would start on may something. So you are just missing it. Try to look harder. He swore it would start on may 12th, so it has to have started already.

neodorian and ekt8750 like this.
  21. ilaofficial

ilaofficial Well-Known Member

I think we will see a bunch of ads in the NBA Finals for sure! Let's go LAKERS!!!

22. SB22

SB22 Well-Known Member

I always get disappointed when I find a co-worker that I think would be a gadget geek and have heard of the EVO 4G, and I have been let down every time. I think I am the only person around who knows that it is and everyone else just thinks I'm crazy...

Hope to see the EVO 4G ads take off after launch and get a good share of the market!

23. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Motorola foots a major part of the bill for all the "Droid" advertising. I think the EVO is going to be more of a "niche'" product due to it's size so you probably won't see as much advertising as you do for Moto's stuff especially in the parts of the country where there is no 4G.

HTC might not be as much into co-op advertising as Moto.

24. drakester

drakester Member

+1
    i think the NBA Finals is the perfect time to start advertising.
    and with ABC on Sprint TV they could throw that in there somehow...

Go Celtics!

25. ilaofficial

ilaofficial Well-Known Member

Starts on Thursday would be a perfect day to launch the advertising campaign being the Evo is out Friday.

As for Boston welcome to our house, different team this year guys our boy Ron Ron is gonna kill pierce.

mangosinslo likes this.