• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Soooo....2.1 switch anyone?

yea im definately staying rooted. like i said before we all have the same stuff as 2.1 but we also have more screens. a nicer interface. and the Main reason im staying.OVERCLOCK. my phone runs like lighting and super smooth compared to a stock droid. and i can def tell considering my bro has a stock one. i cant run that slow. ill wait for 2.2 hahahaha. all we need to complete these phones would be flash :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
After the update is released, will the stock 2.1 image be released and available to flash? Just wondering because I'm considering rooting now to keep my options open and just updating to stock 2.1. So far I haven't had good luck with the available custom roms keeping stable.

Thanks!

When you say stable, what are your issues?

Are you overclocked? If so who's kernel are you using? And what speed is it set to?

I know that my phone would not go over 1,000 with anyone other than Chevy's Kernel until Adam's low voltage kernel pack came along, which is what I am using now and it's super duper stable.

Upvote 0
If you are already rooted with ESE53, does that mean you have the improved Yahoo Mail capability, and the improved handset audio when disconnecting a wired headset being released in the update? I run into the problems with losing audio after disconnecting my aux cable still, so I have to run the audio fixer app, which can be annoying when answering work calls.

Upvote 0
When you say stable, what are your issues?

Are you overclocked? If so who's kernel are you using? And what speed is it set to?

I know that my phone would not go over 1,000 with anyone other than Chevy's Kernel until Adam's low voltage kernel pack came along, which is what I am using now and it's super duper stable.

I was not overclocked at all, I had only installed the BB 0.7. I was extremely careful and followed about four different guides (all of which said the same things, just in different ways). Unfortunately I was having issues with incoming calls; I was forced to do a battery pull after one of the freezes.

I was hesitant to post my issues because I knew I'd get the "rooting is easy and it was your fault" responses. I must say it was fun while it lasted, and right now I'd just like to keep my options open (and get rid of this ATROCIOUS keyboard lag!!). Especially since 2.1 has been delayed yet again.

To CP: I know that the rom builds are based on the ESE53 release, I was just asking if there was a way to get a stock, vanilla version of it. From what I understand, the way that has been done in the past was by grabbing the update.zip file from someones phone after it was pushed out. Of course I could be way wrong.

Thank you for the replies guys, and I hope this post gets read because it took me a half hour to type on my laggy-as-all-hell 2.0.1 keyboard!

Upvote 0
I;m wondering if the OTA 2.1 will be even faster then a rooted oc phone?

NO

As mentioned before, the OTA 2.1 update (which is currently MIA :D ) is the same basic build that we have on most of the rooted roms now. The rom can be smooth, the rom can be efficient, the OTA 2.1 will run at 550 MHz. I'm running at 1200 Mhz...Why is the update still stuck with 3 screens??? Cause 5 screens loaded with all kinds of widgets, etc. will be bogged down...at least a little. I'm running 7...pretty smoothly.

The OTA 2.1 just can't beat it...just can't.

Upvote 0
Well you guys have convinced me :p

I went ahead and rooted again, but haven't done anything beyond installing Busybox and blocking OTA updates, as well as creating a couple of backups along the way.

I figured this would be as good a place as any, so I would really appreciate some advice. I love to play around with my phone and even the rooting process was fun, but if things start to go wrong I panic and undo everything. And by "start to go wrong", I mean one or two force-closes. So, I guess what I'm looking for is the most stable 2.1 rom available, along with the most stable kernel. I don't plan on overclocking at all if it isn't necessary, although the low voltage kernels do sound tempting if they really can keep temps down. I really would just like the capabilities of 2.1 plus the benefits of a custom rom (no unwanted and pre-installed apps, having the ability to install custom skins, etc.).

So, if you've read this far, any suggestions? I really appreciate the assistance, and thank you!

Upvote 0
NO

As mentioned before, the OTA 2.1 update (which is currently MIA :D ) is the same basic build that we have on most of the rooted roms now. The rom can be smooth, the rom can be efficient, the OTA 2.1 will run at 550 MHz. I'm running at 1200 Mhz...Why is the update still stuck with 3 screens??? Cause 5 screens loaded with all kinds of widgets, etc. will be bogged down...at least a little. I'm running 7...pretty smoothly.

The OTA 2.1 just can't beat it...just can't.

hmm, good to know. I guess, ill drop the DM then and go to BB or something with 2.1.

Upvote 0
Well you guys have convinced me :p

I went ahead and rooted again, but haven't done anything beyond installing Busybox and blocking OTA updates, as well as creating a couple of backups along the way.

I figured this would be as good a place as any, so I would really appreciate some advice. I love to play around with my phone and even the rooting process was fun, but if things start to go wrong I panic and undo everything. And by "start to go wrong", I mean one or two force-closes. So, I guess what I'm looking for is the most stable 2.1 rom available, along with the most stable kernel. I don't plan on overclocking at all if it isn't necessary, although the low voltage kernels do sound tempting if they really can keep temps down. I really would just like the capabilities of 2.1 plus the benefits of a custom rom (no unwanted and pre-installed apps, having the ability to install custom skins, etc.).

So, if you've read this far, any suggestions? I really appreciate the assistance, and thank you!

hmm, good to know. I guess, ill drop the DM then and go to BB or something with 2.1.

Well now I have finally loaded it and played with it for awhile so I can recommend this "particular" build. BB version 0.9 is fantastic. Below is my current setup and it looks really good, it's smooth, and most importantly it is stable.

- BB v0.9 - Based on ERE53 - (basically the OTA 2.1 Build...maybe some slight differences but this is what Verizon was going to push)

- Helix 2 Launcher (free download from the market). This is a copy of what is on the cyanogen rom that I love! (cyanogen is not quite what I would call "stable" yet but version 5.0.5 is coming this weekend!). Helix 2 has a 3D launcher (i.e. nexus one style) which works decently in landscape mode. Up to 7 screens and 4 static icons that you can pin to the bottom of the screen by the app launcher...Nice!

- AdamZ low voltage kernel running at 1.2GHz...I am actually running the "medium" voltage range...and it is fairly cool, fast, and once again...stable.

- HexFusion Metamorph theme (with Stock icon set). MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS...requires a few adb commands to get the framework (i.e. notification bar) to theme, but nothing difficult.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
Okay, now that we are way off topic...oh well, the OP's questions were addressed! :) ...I like to see how things look before I do a bunch of work. Maybe these will give you and idea of the "look and feel" of your phone if you applied everything in my last post. Also, you can see how similar it looks to my Cyanogen setup.

BB v0.9, HexFusion Theme, Helix 2 Launcher
nvEAh.jpg

CyanogenMod v5.0.4.3, HexFusion Theme, Launcher2
p6lTZ.jpg

Reactions: Trapper31
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones