• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soooooooooo...When i factory reset..

MegatronVsMe

Nov 4, 2010
Nashville, TN
Does it delete everything on the phone, like contacts and music and apps and stuff, but its still usuable?
Or does it make it so you have to activate it again?

The reason i am asking is because i sold my captivate for another phone and tomorrow i am shipping it and i need to delete everything from the phone without locking it down.

The reason i am asking so in depth is because once with an old iphone, i factory reset and i had to go to the apple store to re-activate it because i couldnt even get into it lol.

I looked at other threads and couldnt find an answer.
So, what exactly does "factory reset" mean? Thaanks:)

there are a few different types of resets

Soft reset: Just turn the phone off and on

Factory Reset aka Hard reset: This resets the phone back to out to what it was before you installed anything. However if you changed any system files, rom, custom animations, battery bar, deleted bloat ware, or changed anything files on the phone, they do not get put back. You need to flash the phone with odin to do that (see Copronymous's post for that). This method also DOES NOT clear off the internal or external sdcard. You need to go into menu --> settings --> sd card and phone storage --> unmount internal storage card --> format internal storage card. (this will erase everything on the phone and internal storage, so make sure you backup everything you want to keep.

Under odin: Master Clear, this restores the phone to as close as out of the box as possible, including restoring all originial files and reformatting the internal sdcard

GSM reset, the same as fatory reset and reformating the internsla sdcard, but will not restore modified or deleted original files.

What have you done to the phone (Root, roms, hacking mods.. ect) with that I can recommend the best method

Reactions: Copronymous
Upvote 0
there are a few different types of resets

Soft reset: Just turn the phone off and on

Factory Reset aka Hard reset: This resets the phone back to out to what it was before you installed anything. However if you changed any system files, rom, custom animations, battery bar, deleted bloat ware, or changed anything files on the phone, they do not get put back. You need to flash the phone with odin to do that (see Copronymous's post for that). This method also DOES NOT clear off the internal or external sdcard. You need to go into menu --> settings --> sd card and phone storage --> unmount internal storage card --> format internal storage card. (this will erase everything on the phone and internal storage, so make sure you backup everything you want to keep.

Under odin: Master Clear, this restores the phone to as close as out of the box as possible, including restoring all originial files and reformatting the internal sdcard

GSM reset, the same as fatory reset and reformating the internsla sdcard, but will not restore modified or deleted original files.

What have you done to the phone (Root, roms, hacking mods.. ect) with that I can recommend the best method

Ive done nothing at all, everything is stock. I have stuff from the market but thats all. If i were to go to settings and factory reset the phone, it would still work like normal (make calls and sms and stuff), but everything would be off the phone right? Contacts, messages, music, pics and vids and stuff. So it would be kind of like i just got it out of the box right?

Upvote 0
Ive done nothing at all, everything is stock. I have stuff from the market but thats all. If i were to go to settings and factory reset the phone, it would still work like normal (make calls and sms and stuff), but everything would be off the phone right? Contacts, messages, music, pics and vids and stuff. So it would be kind of like i just got it out of the box right?

Yes and no, anything on your memory card(s) would be left alone, but back them up anyways. But in a very simular thread, another user did a factory reset, tried no luck, did a factory reset again and it worked. SO if you don;t mind trying, it is worth a shot.

Upvote 0
Yes and no, anything on your memory card(s) would be left alone, but back them up anyways. But in a very simular thread, another user did a factory reset, tried no luck, did a factory reset again and it worked. SO if you don;t mind trying, it is worth a shot.

I will. I need to restore the internal storage. i have an Lg ally 2.2. does the phone matter?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones