Sorry for the Noob question..

Last Updated:

1. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know there is a TON of info on Root... but i have been reading and reading... and some info is just too techy and over my head...
    so I end up confused.

I have a few question I would like to know before I root. (I will be using these instructions : http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html )

Will rooting my phone make it different? I have read about looosing sense, diffrent ROM options... i really dont undestand this. Will my phone basically have a different GUI? Different look to the menus, settings, etc?

Can I root and stay on 1.5? A few threads here have convinced me to wait for the OTA. So of course my next question will this root affect the ability for my phone to receive the OTA update? (assuming it ever comes).

Advertisement
  2. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

Rooting will upgrade your device to 2.1 with root. It wont change any menus or setting until you install a custom rom. I dont believe you can stay on 1.5 with root all the installs make you go to version 2.1. It fixes things anyway.

3. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Theres no reason to even want to stay on 1.5, 2.1 improves upon just about everything imo. You won't lose the senseui unless you choose a rom that removes it. I think only the vanilla rom removes it at this time, i'm not 100% sure. But if you use the sense-able rom you get a nicer skin and senseui is still intact. It really feels the same as 1.5 but with newer software and a few added features.

4. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

You can get root and go back to 1.5 root. jcase has made the only ROM of my knowledge that does this. But I cannot post it as you will need to ask him first if you cannot find it via google or other forums.

From the sounds of it, I wouldnt recommend root to you. I would say wait til 2.1 becomes official. Because if anything goes wrong with root/leak, you are SOL if you cannot figure it out. With official, you can bug Verizon 24/7 for free. Just my thoughts

5. hattrick

hattrick Well-Known Member

Most ROMs I know of turn off the OTA. It should say in the ROM notes.

6. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Honestly rooting is pretty damn easy to do, i don't see a reason why anyone would opt to not root their phone. If you have questions you know where to go. Alot of us check this place all day long, theres no such thing as a stupid question, just ask.

7. droidkevlar

rooting is easy, if you have basic computer knowledge and wanna learn. if people never used a cmd box before, they are pretty much going to have some issues with doing this. this is just my thoughts. nothing every goes as the instructions say they do. i followed the guide to a T and came across numerous problems that not everyone has had and I had to trouble shot it on my own. not saying i figured them all out, but 99% I did.

as jwm2 stated, if you do, we are here to help, but make sure to search first before posting. most likely, its already been asked and answered. and also, the irc chan as well. they are very friendly there and someone is always around.

good luck either route you go

8. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Also don't be afraid to check youtube, expecially flashing the first image to it. At least that way you won't be alarmed when it takes abit longer than you expect it to. I googled the video of someone doing it and it put my mind to rest as i knew i was doing everything correctly.

9. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

frankly some people should learn some basic things like how to use the command line before attempting to use root IMO. so many ask questions that are basic concepts from a PC. i find the directions layed out in the 2.1root guide are absolutely simple as can be. but the question commonly reoccuring is what do you mean execute "adb shell"?

10. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Well even vast knowledge in pcs doesn't mean you know anything about command line level operations or about the linux platform. I used to use pcs when dos was still the dominate operating system, and even i had questions when rooting my phone. Just follow the guide, check the youtube videos and ask questions when you have them. Thats all you can really do.

11. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Since you mentioned youtube videos, i searched and found this:

YouTube - How To - Root the HTC Droid Eris (www.TheUnlockr.com)

Seems EXTREMELY easy! Can someone confirm that this is correct?

12. droidkevlar

Compare it with the guide by grdlock

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

13. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Yes that will get you rooted, which is step 1 in the guide. You can use the root installer app that grdlock made and that will get you ready to start step 2 which is install amons recovery image. Once thats done boot into recovery mode (vol up + power) and make a backup of how the phone is now. Then just transfer the rom you want to install onto the sd card in its zipped up form and boot into recovery mode again (vol up + power) and flash the rom. Reboot your phone and setup as you would normally. Its easy to do and won't take very long to get it accomplished.