Sorry mega noob question

Last Updated:

1. OTchie

OTchie Member This Topic's Starter

So the g1 was just released in Australia and im so confused about what is happening with this phone.

1. Has the cupcake update been released allowing for video recording and on screen keyboard?
    2. Can you transfer files using bluetooth?
    3. How would i update my phone. Is it just over the phone or do i have to dl then put it on my phone.
    4. Do i have to 'root' my phone to use all these applications listed?
    5. (sorry) What does this 'root' thing do/mean?

Sorry about all this. Also if in wrong place.
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. 4lph4num3r1c

4lph4num3r1c Well-Known Member

1 cupcake is being released gradually.
    2 you might be able to transfer files after the full version of cupcake is released.
    3 the updates will be over the air (ota). you will receice the option on your phone once it is available.
    4 you do not have to root your phone for updates. if you don't know what root is, you don't need it.
    5 there are tons of info here on root. use the search bar to find everything you're looking for.

3. 4lph4num3r1c

4lph4num3r1c Well-Known Member

also, don't appologize. the only dumb questions, are the ones not asked. but do feel free to use the search bar. i don't even own an ANDROID device...yet, but i do research like a mad-ass.:)

4. OTchie

OTchie Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the help mate

5. SK.

SK. Well-Known Member

No it's not. this is just a routine update and is not "cupcake" being released gradually

6. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Actually, you're both a little off.

Cupcake is the name of a development branch. It is not any one specific update. The features created by the cupcake development branch are going to be released gradually (I believe some were included in the recent update) NOT all at once.

Since vodaphone is going to get the HTC Magic, an Android phone with no keyboard, the onscreen keyboard developed by the cupcake branch should be released in the near future. Other elements we've heard about (stereo bluetooth, etc) will be released in other updates. There isn't going to be some massive cupcake update, but small releases as the features are developed.

7. smint

smint Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the on screen keyboard and hopefully auto rotate in the same update so I can uninstall steel web browser

8. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

9. Graham

Graham Well-Known Member