"Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file"Support

1. Ani

Ani New Member

I'm having difficulty trying to get some songs to play on my S4.

The songs were converted from YT audio to mp3 (they're Japanese covers of songs, so they usually aren't recorded/sold, but if they are I do buy them), using clipconverter. I downloaded a number of them onto my laptop and changed the properties so that they would appear under the same album and stuff, then stuck them onto my SD card, but now they won't play on my S4. The error I am getting is "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file."

I was wondering if it has something to do with the encoding, since the Japanese characters just appear as gibberish unless I manually change the encoding type to Japanese for each song on my phone? I had a couple songs from clipconverter that would play fine in the downloads folder on my phone, but once I moved the files to my SD card they stopped playing.

I've looked at a number of other threads and tried unmounting and resetting the SD card, restarting my phone multiple times, force stopping and clearing the media player data, and downloading other media players to use, but none of that has worked, and I keep getting the same error. Help?

Advertisement
    :
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Do the songs play on your computer OK? Maybe try a different media player app, like Winamp.
  3. Ani

Ani New Member

The songs play fine on my computer, I just can't get them to play on my phone. I've tried the default music player, google player, rocket player, MixZing, Android music player, and the ES media player, but got errors on each one.
  4. Hermitage

Hermitage Member

I too, am having problems getting mp3 files to play on my S4. I have checked that they haven't got any DRM encoding that could stop them. I have tried transferring the files via Kies, and direct via usb. What I have discovered which is really frustrating, is when I transfer the files, some won't play at all, some have got speeded up, and some will play when you transfer them across, but 10 minutes later, it comes up with the message "Couldn't play the track that you requested". :confused:

I have tried transferring to the internal memory, instead of the SD card (in case that might be the problem) but I still encounter this annoying glitch. Does anyone know how this problem can be fixed? Is it a software problem? I have been systematically trying the different music apps (free ones so far) to no avail. :confused::confused:
  5. alldaveallday

alldaveallday New Member

I have the same issue. I use youtube-mp3.com to convert files directly on my phone without using a computer. It used to work fine, but now it tells me that it can't be played (although songs that I converted earlier that played still do).
  6. davdialxndr

davdialxndr New Member

I have tried all the methods i could find, and still get the same error idk why, and i have noticed that some play really fast, and the ones that don't play although i have tranferred them to the sd card from itunes, the ones that won't play which is most of them the names are not as in itunes and have an unknown artist, and again i have all the info in itunes, this has happened a few days ago, when i bought a 32gb card, before i had an 8gb one and i had no problems maybe it's that, im gonna try and hard reset the phone and see if it fixes it or not
  7. bobolinko

bobolinko Well-Known Member

if you can post one of those mp3's that do not play, or attach it as a downloadable item, I might be able to help you.
    Annotokimade..... :>)
  8. bluefoxox

bluefoxox New Member

Anyone figure this out? I am having the exact same trouble as the person who originally posted this. I created 10 MP3's by converting them from YouTube using clipconverter today. All the files play fine on my PC, only one of them plays on my Galaxy S4 using 4.4.2. I am stumped.
  9. sreum

sreum Well-Known Member

First thing, most of the times you can't just go into properties and change them to get things to work properly. You have to convert them instead.

For the itunes person, the file format is different on Mac devices then it is on Android or a PC. You'll have to convert them.

The best file format to use for android is mp4.

If you have the songs/media on a PC, try using Windows Media player on the computer to convert them first. Then move them onto your S4.
  10. play3tt3

play3tt3 New Member

I have an Samsung exhibit II and my songs have been on my phone for a couple of years. I just added a couple of songs 3 days ago and this error came up. I don't get it. If they played before they should play now. PLease help!!!!
  11. AeolianReflex

AeolianReflex Well-Known Member

I have ran into this same problem and every time it was because the files have a variable bit rate. Once I convert them to a single bit rate and re-add them to the phone they play fine.
    Randy Lahey81 likes this.
  12. alldaveallday

alldaveallday New Member

Could you explain this in simpler terms? I don't even know what a bit rate is.
  13. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

alldaveallday likes this.
  14. AeolianReflex

AeolianReflex Well-Known Member

You don't really have to know all the details but ironass' links should be helpful in explaining bit rates and sampling. Basically, the higher the bit rate the better the audio quality will be. Android music players just don't seem to like variable bit rates.

I use itunes to manage my music on my PC and it's simple to convert mp3's using it's built in function. I typically use a bit rate of 160 for good quality and keeping the file size small. You can set the bit rate in itunes by going into preferences, selecting the General tab and clicking the Import Settings button.

To convert the file, locate the song you want to convert in itunes and right click on it. Choose "Create MP3 Version" from the pop up menu. It will create an identically named mp3 file with a single bit rate. If you want to you can choose multiple songs and have them all converted. Once converted, locate the converted file the the folder where it is stored and you can then copy it to your phone via usb.

I will say that I am kinda OCD about keeping my music organized both on my PC and on my phone so it's a pretty fast process for me because of that.
    alldaveallday likes this.
  15. alldaveallday

alldaveallday New Member

Thanks for explaining that in really simple terms.
    If I understand correctly, bit rate is for audio files what pixels are for pictures.
    We'll see if I understand enough to fix my music.
  16. bobolinko

bobolinko Well-Known Member

Look at the names of the files that don't play using "My Files" it's the yellow folder icon in your App Drawer. navigate to wherever you have your music files, and long-press on the one that doesn't play and try renaming it to an English word, possibly using "Romaji"... it should work as long as the LAST 4 characters are ".mp3" before you rename it. You can only change the name before the ".mp3" with the My Files app. If the files do not have a ".mp3" then attach the phone to your computer or attach the SD Card to the computer and rename those that have the graphic blocks in the file extents to ".mp3" and it will be fine.... mondai mada attaraba.... post again. tasukette agemasu! :>)

Gambatte!

Good Luck and Aloha!
    P.S.
    you could even attach one to your post and I can make it work for you.
  17. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

18. SushiKins

SushiKins New Member

Ive just experienced this problem this morning and its starting to irritate me. All my songs were working perfectly with no problems until now after adding new song to my device through SDHC card (always used this to transfer my stuff to my device without any problem) and didnt check to see if it works until this morning. The new song I transferred didnt work even when it is in mp3 format. Beside that song, Ive noticed that 2 other songs didnt work either! Those 2 songs worked perfectly before I added in a new one and those 2 songs are also in mp3 format. I also check with my other songs and they are also in mp3 format and working perfectly while those 3 songs isnt working. I tried restarting my device few times, deleting those 3 songs and transfer it back again, and clearing the data but it still doesnt work! I even tried playing those 3 songs on my laptop like iTunes, the folder where I keep my music, and SDHC card and it works just fine. Also when I insert the card in my phone and try to play those 3 songs from there, it gave me the same problem when Im trying to play it without the card. Im completely out of options and I know there is another way to play my songs like downloading another app but I really dont want to download any apps just to listen to music.
  19. nater_aide

nater_aide New Member

I'm having the same issue with the Galaxy s5. It is only occurring with new music that is downloaded. The music files are located on an external sd card. I don't want to convert the music that was downloaded.

-Works with Galaxy tab 3
    -Works with HTC Inspire
    -Mp3s on PC are able to play
    -Mp3s are able to play from sd card plugged directly into computer
    -Tried rescanning the sd card
    -Rebooted

Any help or advice would be appreciated
  20. hecooo

hecooo Member

i had same problem and i connected phone with kies and found songs that has 00:00:00 time and then made folder and add same songs but not from phone , those songs are corrupted , so i had same on computer and added to folder , converted them to wav or m4a and added to phone back , it works perfectly and no difference in player , not that much in sound quality , almost nothing .
  21. eagle670

eagle670 Member

Looks like this is a growing problem. I recently bought a 32 gig sd micro card and transferred my 1300 song library over to it from by internal phone memory. Then some very wierd things started happening. Have the songs transferred and play perfectly, while the other half will not play and I continually get a "Codec Needed" error. So I decided to transfer the files just a few at a time and as I did it I double checked each of the 500+ files that they were working, then an hour later all of those 500+ songs mysteriously stopped working.
    At this point I am extremely frustrated and not sure what else to try, I have downloaded several different players and none make any difference. What baffles me is why half of the songs play with no issue and the other half keep getting these weird occurances.

Hope someone can figure this out, I am running out of memory on phone fast.

Thanks
  22. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

MP3s playing OK from internal but not SD. Possibly the new SD might be at fault here. Could be a fake, there's a lot of them around, especially from eBay and Amazon vendors. Where did you buy it?
  23. hecooo

hecooo Member

if it doesnt hate you , format SD and then put files over computer on sd , from internal phone memory to external but via computer and one more thing , try slow formatting , don't check " quick format"

Edit: Songs that does't work anymore , put on computer and try , on my computer i couldn't play songs i couldn't on phone but before issue on phone i could , don't know why , if you have safe copy in internal memory than transfer that songs , not the ones you already have on SD and can't play
  24. Wasay

Wasay New Member

Hey friends.....

I found a solution that works for me !!!!!!!!

Just format the external SD card from the device(my device tab 4) itself and create a folder name which is not similar in the device internal memory.

Ex : Internal memory folder name is "Music" and external card folder name must be "songs"

that's it..............!!!!

Hope works for you all...... Peace.....
  25. Randy Lahey81

Randy Lahey81 New Member

I am having the same error message when I try to play my tracks from my sd card that are from my cds that I ripped to a computer. Other tracks that I copied to the sd card from another computer will play. All of the audio files on this sd card worked on three of my old android phones from metro pcs. I just bought a Metro pcs LG Optimus F60, not from a metro pcs store, but from Wal-mart at a $50 discount. I put in my sd card and downloaded the Android music player from Google play, and half of my tracks say "player does not support this audio file". please help?