Sorry this may be dumb but can someone explain sync.

Last Updated:

1. zx12richard

zx12richard Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jan 28, 2010
    I always copy all my files and backup from sd card to pc.
    I never used sync. I'm sure it means synchronize phone files to pc bit how does it work. Where are they stored.

Any good simple terms answer would be appreciated. I'm not a electronics guru. Thanks.

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Nov 28, 2009

You can install apps from it (if you've downloaded nonmarket apps online), backup your contacts (if they aren't already google contacts)....
  3. ejpyle

ejpyle Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    i think the only thing I used it for .... come to think of it I have not used it for anything. I think I stripped the drivers from it and removed the software afterwards. No real use unless you find that you need that old school backup. I suppose if you were not using any "cloud" to store your information and just kept everything updated via PC and device, you would need it installed.
  4. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    1. use to install apps that are not on the market.
    2. keep a backup of phone data: contacts, calendars, todos..etc. copying files from sdcard to pc is not the same thing! If you use google to backup phone data, then you dont need this. If find Sync to pc is faster than Google.
  5. sbillard

sbillard Active Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I'll offer an alternative position. But this presumes you really are talking about syncing your contacts with your PC mail client. In my case I run Outlook on my PC and use HTC Sync to update my phone both for contacts that have changed info and for my calendar.

This means that all the contact informtion I have kept over the [decades?] is available on my phone without my having to key it in. Also that I can keep a calendar on my PC and have it reflected in the phone's calendar. (But I did find a downside to that. "All day" events start at midnight, so the phone was reminding me of them in the middle of the night. The computer is off at that time, so the reminder did not happen until morning. I have changed all those events to have a more civilized start time.)

Backup is really incidental in this scenerio. I doubt I could get along without this capability, but then maybe that is just me.