Sort Contacts

Last Updated:

1. stainless

stainless Well-Known Member

Ok I have searched high and low and nothing has helped.
    So i finally went all 250 contacts in Gmail and re did their names and cleaned them up.
    They all now sort by Last name, First Name.
    BUT most of the contacts on my phone that have FB accounts are STILL First, Last. But when I edit the contact on the phone it shows Last, First except at the top and FB
    How do I fix this ???

Advertisements
  2. gschechter

gschechter New Member

Export your contact list from google.com/contacts a backup plus a spreadsheet file you will edit. Open the spreadsheet in google docs, and swap the columns. Delete all your contacts from contacts.google.com and re-import the corrected spreadsheet. You can use formulas to help with finding duplicates and incomplete information.

3. tranzz

tranzz Well-Known Member

well, I must be having an extended BF here (brain fart), but,,,,,

FB ?????

I's gotts ta know!

4. sherri

sherri Well-Known Member

Face Book.........:p

5. tranzz

tranzz Well-Known Member

So there's a facebook user ID field for your contacts, and it defaults to the top of the list? Like even ahead of their name???

6. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member

Trying to get my accounts set up prior to my droid arrival. First time android user here. If I read right, the contact list in the phone sorts alpahbetically by the gmail name field. correct? So, if I want to sort by last name, when I set up the contacts in gmail, I need to input their names in the format I want to sort by...correct? ie, Gmail name: "Smith, Joe" sorts by "Smith" in the phone and "Joe Smith" sorts by "Joe".

7. tranzz

tranzz Well-Known Member

I'd like to be polite, respectful, and helpful here, and suggest that you actually enter your contacts "Family name" in the "Family name" field. their "Given name" in the "Given name" field, etc.. All the individual data fields in the contacts database that gmail uses are labeled, as are the fields in the contacts database that your android based phone or PDA keeps. While the native "Contacts" database management app has no sort order or display options for it's users display of that data, the problem should not be mistaken. You will in a matter of time find yourself exporting or sharing incorrect info about your contacts if you put the names in the wrong fields.

Whether we users are able to prevail upon the people that release future versions of the android systems native "contacts" app to correct the present unacceptable situation, or we simply display a viable market for an app developer to produce a substantially better and marketable "contacts" app, is in question at this point. I can guarantee that 2 years from now the situation will be different, and that hundreds of thousands of smartphone users will be using systems which handle their users contacts information better than what we are seeing here presently.

My bet is that 2 years from now you'll be unhappy with yourself if are keeping a list of scrambled names.

8. cggorman

we must be talking about two different things. I haven't yet received the phone, so I'm adding contacts to gmail thru my desktop computer. I see only a single "name" field.

9. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

On the phone it separates name into Given name (aka first) and family name (aka surname, last name).

In Google accounts it does not - a major bone of contention with those of us who synced all contacts to our Google Accounts....

cggorman likes this.
  10. cggorman

I see. OK, so what format would i enter names into my Gmail acct so it sorts correctly on the phone (ie, sort by last name)

11. johnlgalt

Hmmm, honestly, I used the phone to fix all the mistakes since it does the separation.

For your contacts, before you get the phone, just type in the names normally. Once you get the phone, then you can adjust the ones that need it.

12. TJ009

TJ009 Active Member

Does anyone know how to edit, add, delete FB contacts? I synced mine and half my friends that are on FB did not get synced into my contacts. However My uncle is named Chris and his son is Christopher...well FB so kindly synced both my uncles and cousins all under my cousins info. I for the life of me can not figure out how to delete the incorrect info. When I had my Eris it had this great lil FB button in the contact card and you could press it...it would then pull up ur FB friend list and allow u to choose correct person for that contact. It was amazing and I really miss that!!!

13. cggorman

Cool. Thanks!

14. johnlgalt

Log Out of facebook, then you can go to your Google account and see if the merged contacts are in you account, if so try to unmerge them. Else, delete that contact then log back into FB then sync your contacts again.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

15. tranzz

tranzz Well-Known Member

please go to

Issue 3732 - android - [Search] Improve contact search - Project Hosting on Google Code

leave your critical, but somehow constructive comment, then

Issues - android - Project Hosting on Google Code

vote for the issue (and others you agree with) by clicking the star.

Believe it or not (if you're not already familiar with this), it's how us end-users can encourage Google to improve the contacts app.! Google doesn't surf these forums looking for complaints to fix, even though we'd like 'em to. This will affect your options on other phones too.