• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sorted contacts issue, what a pain!! Do we really have to do this?

adybaby

Apr 10, 2010
After loosing most of my contacts this is what I had to do - tedious!!

Find my old phone - copy the contacts to my desire sim - put the sim back in desire - sync with googlemail - adapt EVERY name because they changed to surname 1st - then delete some of the duplicated numbers - save - sync back to phone????????????

Now i have done this do I need to Import to SD - Import from SD - Export to SD - or do nothing, I dont want to end up with bloody duplicates/lost numbers again.

So all of your contacts are now Google contacts? This is where you want to be. You will never loose them again. Whenever you log into a new Android device now all your contacts will be there. BTW, its easier to manage your contacts from gmail on your pc now, any changes you make will auto sync to your device.

Upvote 0
Interesting that people are having all these contact issues when coming from an old SIM. Now I think about it I spend about 3 hours plus making sure all mine where correct and cleaned after importing from my old phone and getting all my Facebook contacts etc.

It is a pain, but at least its all the same everywhere now. THat is probably a good thing about the Google phones. I have been through tonnes of diffrent phones and I cannot think of one that have imported my contacts flawlessly because everyone have a diffrent way of doing it.

With Google making the OS at least all the contacts will be pulled in properly if I buy another phone from a different manufacture. As long as it have Android. To be fair I think most manufacture are bound to adopt a standard they have to there where too many poor OS for phones.

Upvote 0
I have my phone set so that under 'People' it only shows my Google contacts and those who have a phone number which is fine and how I want it.

However, when I go into 'Phone' and look up a contact it also shows random Facebook friends. Is there any way to change this so it only shows Google contacts, the same as under 'People'?

Apologies for the slight hijack!

Upvote 0
However, when I go into 'Phone' and look up a contact it also shows random Facebook friends. Is there any way to change this so it only shows Google contacts, the same as under 'People'?

Apologies for the slight hijack!

Not with the stock dialer, but give Dialer One v1.2.1::Tone dialing; Application for Android | Communication a try. It only shows actual contacts, and you can swipe left and right to your call log (grouped by contact) and favourites. It's by far a better dialer than the stock one!

Reactions: WozzaTT
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
junkiepilot u say:
''So all of your contacts are now Google contacts? This is where you want to be. You will never loose them again. Whenever you log into a new Android device now all your contacts will be there. BTW, its easier to manage your contacts from gmail on your pc now, any changes you make will auto sync to your device.''
unfortunatly not true , my desire had a funny turn yesterday and not only lost ALL of my contacts from the phone , but from sim and google mail ... and yes i put my sim in another phone , nothing ! checked my google mail on my pc ... nothing ! all gone !!!!! :mad:

Upvote 0
junkiepilot u say:
''So all of your contacts are now Google contacts? This is where you want to be. You will never loose them again. Whenever you log into a new Android device now all your contacts will be there. BTW, its easier to manage your contacts from gmail on your pc now, any changes you make will auto sync to your device.''
unfortunatly not true , my desire had a funny turn yesterday and not only lost ALL of my contacts from the phone , but from sim and google mail ... and yes i put my sim in another phone , nothing ! checked my google mail on my pc ... nothing ! all gone !!!!! :mad:

Maybe you should have bought a Desire instead of an X10? Are you sure you haven't had a UI (user interface) error and deleted them? BTW, you can also export you contacts via Gmail as a csv.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones