• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sorting out music library?

browngeek

Feb 9, 2010
I wonder if someone can help me here.

I've got my music scattered over various different sources over the years. The majority of it I still have on CD and the rest is on my HTPC.

The problem is when I transferred my music over to my HTPC it wasn't exactly categorised correctly.

At present I'm just copying and pasting my music over to my phone via SD.

However on the default music app I'm using its not really showing much information (it often just shows "unknown artist" / "unknown song"). Also, sometimes the music isn't in the right format to play.

Therefore I want to kind of start from scratch to sort out my music library. In that sense I want to figure out:

1. the best program to manage my library

2. the best program to rip my CD's and correctly name my library

3. the best program to sync music up with my phone

I never have really gotten into playlists, but it seems that is what all the cool kids are now doing these days, therefore I guess I want to find a good program to help me deal with this playlist stuff.

From research it seems I may want to go down the route of one of Winamp, DoubleTwist or Spotify. I guess there is also iTunes. Speaking of iTunes, my missus uses an ipone. The ultimate aim would be that we would have one big music library on my HTPC and we would be able to pick and choose our music from that. Now if my missus uses iphone, would I pretty much be limited to iTunes.

I have tried Spotify in the past and I do note it has the benefit of being a music library as well as being able to download songs. One thing that stopped me from using Spotify though is it would never hold track position when I stopped playing music and it would always want to try and get online and log on.

I greatly appreciate any words of wisdom you can suggest for my quest.

Best app IMO is WinAmp, plus you can Wireless Sync just like your missus iPhone.

If you would be using iTunes however, well you could use that for Music management on your PC but that would mean using DoubleTwist or iSyncr to sync the iTunes music and playlist to your phone.

Thanks.

I'm actually looking at Mediamonkey or Songbird at the moment, esp for sorting out all my media.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones