Sound Cancelling... they should advertise it!

Last Updated:

1. somohapian

somohapian Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK.. I don't know how many of you have actually tested the limits of the background cancelling mics on the DX, but I have. I was prompted to test it while speaking to a client while walking my dog the other day.. as a lawn worker passed me with a leaf blower, I apologized to my client for the noise. "His response, with leaf blower right next to me, was, "Noise? You aren't sitting at your desk? I don't hear anything but your voice."

So ok... wow. Now my working from home butt is unleashed from the desk which is ... AWESOME!

So I decided to test the limits... I called my voicemail while standing in a packed bar a couple nights ago. Thumping music, people all around laughing and shouting, crazy scene. The result? At the beginning, before I spoke, you can faintly hear the music... then... nothing but my voice. It's the most amazing thing I've ever heard (or, I guess, not heard).

Anyhow.. I think Motorola should be advertising this! I can see the commercial now... business dude on a golf course while boss calls and doesn't know... man in a bar and wife can't tell (remember the old Capitan Morgan ad?)

Advertisement
    Tumeg, monteis2000 and jroc like this.
  2. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

See its the things like this that dont get mentioned that, when combined, makes the X a very nice phone.

3. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member

Thats really impressive.. I wonder how it does with wind because thats been the biggest problem for me in the past. Im going to have to test this out as soon as I get mine.

4. somohapian

I haven't really tried wind yet. That's the next thing I want to test on it though.

5. android.convert

android.convert Well-Known Member

Wow if the leaf blower story is true this phone is the best droid phone on the market imo.

6. Kaoss

Kaoss Well-Known Member

Wind? Please! I did a full battery of tests on my answering machine. I started with driving 60 miles per hour my AC blowing on high, then rolled down all my windows, then turned up my stereo pretty high. I had all this going at once and when I got home and played the message I could hear my voice as clear as day. I was shocked.

jroc likes this.
  7. droblyer

droblyer Well-Known Member

It does work well, this is the only phone I've had that people could hear me when I'm driving my jeep. Topless of course,lol.

8. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

i dont know if any of you have tested the concert setting on the camera but it uses some noise canceling. If you have ever tried to record audio at a concert you'd know that all you can ever hear is in your face distorted Bass and nothing else. But with the DX you get crazy good audio respite the extremely loud sound it has to handle. here's one i took

YouTube - black_label.3gp

Thong, Tumeg and jroc like this.
  9. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member

Now thats impressive.. I go to a million concerts a year and I never even thought about how the DX did at a concert because I didnt think it was possible to get a good video of a concert from a cell phone. Oh man, i get more and more excited every post I read!

10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Legacystar, THANK U for that clip!! Amazing....

11. Legacystar

i got a few from megadeth concert im uploading right now, really shows it off cause that concert was ****ing crazy loud.

12. skinnhc

skinnhc Well-Known Member

Noise cancelling was one of the big selling points of the Nexus One. Google did a great job advertising it with viral videos all over the interwebs...agree that Moto should do the same..

13. Legacystar

14. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

The actual location of the microphone will help with wind as much as anything. So many phones have the speaker on the bottom of the phone, which means there is little to no protection from the wind and it howls across the speaker opening.

The other thing to remember is if wind is hitting the talking mic, there will be little or no noise cancellation for it. So, wind is one of those tricky things where sometimes the cancellation will work well (if the wind is just creating noise around you), and sometimes it won't (if the wind is hitting the actual mic that's receiving your voice).

15. somohapian

That is impressive. I want Motorola to realize how much people like this about the phone so that they keep developing it on new phones!!

16. Prevlin

Prevlin Well-Known Member

I watched a youtube video of someone testing out the noise cancellation and at the wind test it was a little distorted due to this exact reason. The wind was blowing directly on the mic but if he turned or moved a little it was clear as day. Pretty slick stuff.

17. GS300

GS300 Well-Known Member

I was at the bar the other day and my wife expected me to be there also. She called and asked if noone was there it was so quiet. I think she even wondered if I was there which could be a problem the other way, when they are expecting background noise.

GS

18. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

My girlfriend told me she was so happy I was going to the library more often.

She couldn't hear even one of the hookers in the background!

19. somohapian

All these ideas for ads! Hopefully Motorola will see this and have a moment of inspiration! Of course, then we will get NOTHING for our ideas.. but hey... if they EVER advertise the sound cancelling we can all pat ourselves on the back that it was because of us. :)

Has anyone else tested it too? I'm so curious how people are testing...

20. deemedic

deemedic Active Member

Is this just something the Droid X just does out of the box or are there settings for these mic's to perform noise cancelling? I have RTFM and I see nothing on how to set these mics up.

21. somohapian

It just does it. If it were an apple product Steve Jobs would be calling it magical.

22. dbenge947

dbenge947 Member

Verizon doesn't seem to wanna be so campy and funny with their commercials anymore, especially Droid commercials, they take it seriously with the deep voiced guy. I miss the funny Verizon commercials with this kinds scene. Ya know like the parents watching their kids shovel snow!

23. dbenge947

dbenge947 Member

lol, I think I am one of the very few people who work at Apple that doesn't have an iPhone. Even if they do come to Verizon I am loving my Droid X way too much

24. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Thank you for the testimony. That is amazing! I totally forgot about our DX's noise cancellation! :D

25. yawdapaah

yawdapaah Well-Known Member

My mother called my whilst driving. I was using GPS so the DX was in the car dock connected to aux. Windows down, doing 60, I answer the phone. I don't know if speaker phone is on automatically in car dock mode (I didn't turn it on) but she could hear every word clearly and had no idea I was driving till I told her.

I'd been thinking about jumping ship to the fascinate but no more. This level of NC is just amazing. Great thread; more people need to know about this.