1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Sound Profiles Like BB?

Last Updated:

1. psuperman112

psuperman112 Member This Topic's Starter

I just picked up a Droid, after having blackberries for years. One thing I noticed about the droid is the lack of sound profiles. I basically had two profiles I would use on my blackberry and after downloading the app ' simple sound profile widget' I still cannot manage to get the two profiles I used on my blackberry. Here is the settings I would like to achieve:

Profile 1: vibrate only for sms/mms messages and phone calls (all other notifications silent)

Profile 2: Silence everything except alarm clock.

I think the main problem is that i cannot figure out how to separate out texts from all other notifications (emails, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated. I kept hearing about how customizable droids were so I just assumed this would be doable.

Advertisement
  2. psuperman112

psuperman112 Member This Topic's Starter

I can't be the only person coming over from a blackberry!

3. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Try Audio Manager.

4. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

I came from BB and noticed this as well. Because the BB's are business oriented they have many features that are geared to that.

Android is not quite there yet. The list of apps is growing and if there isn't an app for that yet, there will be soon.

For instance. I really liked the Bedside mode on my STORM. It took me a while but I found the Kaloer clock app that does the exact same thing on the Android.

Keep looking - something will turn up soon.

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

There are profiles app on Android but they won't be exactly like what you're used to in the BB world. I have yet to find an app than can centrally manage all notifications (vibration, sound and LED) for all apps. That said, Android profiles apps will have some features that the BB didn't have.

If the profile app doesn't do this then you have to adjust the text notification settings in your text messaging app.

I know that's a popular canned response but I don't see how profiles are specifically a business feature.

Give any forum site at least a day for responses.

6. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

Well think about it. The profiles give you the abilty to configure your phone if in a meeting or other business environment.

Currently I only have three choices with the ERIS. All sound, vibrate only, or totally silent.

Like the OP said. With BB one can configure every service differently. Perhaps in a meeting it's ok to receive important e-mails but no calls or sms.

Given that I really like the ERIS I have made some allowances for it. Yes the Android OS is better than the RIM OS. But, no question that the BB has some features that are sorely lacking in Android.

It's not an Android OS deficiency. It is an app deficiency. It would be
    nice if some one would cook up a ROM that emulated many of those features and then could serve as the basis of a "business" oriented Android ROM.

7. rchacin

rchacin Member

Coming from Nokia profiles, the best I've found is Volume Toggle (free on the market).

Here's why:
    - Lets you control 6 volumes (Alarm, Media, Message, Incoming, System, InCall).
    - Lets you create many profiles (like car, silence, meeting, outdoors, home, office...)
    - Has a one-tap-widget to cycle profiles. You set which profiles to cycle.
    - Has a status icon, where you can see at a glance in any of your screens which profile is selected.
    - If you change (by touching the physical volume control) a setting, the status icon (and widget) change to reflect a "custom mode" (not a profile).

The graphics aren't that great, but hopefully they'll improve.

8. cron912

cron912 Well-Known Member

I came moved from a Storm 2 to a Droid X, and missed profiles as well. I went with Profile (by noimjosh) and have been pleased with it.

You can set up multiple profiles, each with customizable settings for:

- Ringer volume
    - Ringtone
    - Notification volume
    - Notification ringtone
    - Music volume
    - Alarm volume
    - In call volume
    - Screen brightness
    - Screen Auto-off timeout
    - Turn WiFi On/Off (or unchanged)
    - Turn Bluetooth On/Off (or unchanged)
    - Turn Airplane Mode On/Off (or unchanged)

You can pick which of these settings you want it to handle. It can be added to the notification menu for quick profile switching, and can also change profiles based on time.

9. charlyee

charlyee Well-Known Member

I use Profile Manager, coming from a BB as well.

10. lackskill

lackskill Member

The single thing I miss from my blackberry is being able to edit the number and length of vibration for each different notification type. I never use ringtones, just vibrate. I have 2 different emails that I monitor, sms/mms, and phone. If I could have unique vibration profiles for each of those I'd be stoked.

11. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Can be done too.

12. lackskill

lackskill Member

13. happy0506

happy0506 Well-Known Member

it isn't a sound profile app, but you might like silent time lite. i like it better than changing the profile (years ago had a bb and nokia) because after the meeting i want my phone to be quiet for, i would forget to change back to my normal profile and would wonder why my phone was quiet for the rest of the day. only to realize i forgot to switch back and would miss calls and texts. silent time lite has a widget so when i go into the meeting, i can quickly select how long i want my phone to be quiet for, then it automatically switches back to normal after that. it also has the ability to be silent, but still vibrate for the time period selected.

14. Szadzik

15. lackskill

lackskill Member

Thank you very much. I've almost gotten to where I want to be with SMS Notifier and E-mail Notifier by mapeapps. They're a good start and better than stock, but still leave some to be desired...

16. Szadzik

Try Missed Call too.

17. kingdufus

kingdufus Member

Take a look at Setting Profiles by Probeez. It's a pretty flexible and powerful profiles manager. There is a free and paid version, and I think you can also download a full version trial from their website. I bought the full version and so far I really like it. It does not have as many features as Tasker, but does exactly what I want.

18. HoochieCoo

HoochieCoo Well-Known Member

This is one of the few areas that BB handles a bit better (in a way), though you can do some cool stuff with Android.

I use Tasker to set my audio/notification settings based on Location and time of day. But, it doesn't handle things like one type of notification for SMS vs Email from account A vs email from Account B. It could, it would just take some work since in Android, notification is handled by each app. That is, to change SMS notification settings, you go to the Messages app (or Handcent in my case). To change email notifications you go to whatever email app you have, etc...

Though, BB didn't handle notification reminders any better than Android. Which is to say, neither do without the use of an extra app (unless the app itself supports it... like Handcent).

Tasker also isn't for the casual user. It looks like Setting Profiles is, and gets part of what the BB offers along with schedules. But does it handle the ability to change the notification based on the source (sms vs email, etc...)?

19. Chiswick Singh

Chiswick Singh Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one experiencing this 'limitation'.

If there's one thing that I find disappointing on my new Incredible S is the inability to properly set a ringtone profile, e.g. Silent, Vibrate, Normal/General, Loud, Meeting etc.

I've also recently moved over from a BlackBerry that had the facility to set individual ringtones and alerts for all apps. This would give me the ability to select and customise sounds and alerts for e.g.: MMS, SMS, Windows Live Messenger, Facebook, eBay etc from a single menu screen.

However I'm still not sure which app to go for that will get me as close to achieving the above.....?

20. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

You also can't specify which group to show in contacts. I used the business grouping for spammers as I saved the number to the address book with a silent ring. I used friends and family for those contacts I wanted to show. The business group (spammers) never showed in the contact list. You can set up groups, but I haven't found a way to specify which groups show in contacts.

21. rborelli

rborelli Well-Known Member

I came from Blackberry also (storm). I sue Simple Sound Profile Widget. It works well and the widget is small (1X1). you can customize profiles pretty quick.

22. dancingtulips

dancingtulips New Member

With Simple Sound Profile are you able to customize it to separate out sms vs email? Also, are there any apps where you can customize Twitter and Facebook in various profiles?

23. ventz

ventz Member

24. lackskill

lackskill Member