1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Sound profiles resetting (ringer, alarm, etc.)Support

1. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Well-Known Member

Every time I restart my phone it resets ALL my custom sounds to the default sounds. Is there any way I can get it to stop doing this?

This is a fairly new development. Its been doing this for the last 2 or 3 weeks & I can't seem to fix on my own. :(

Advertisement
    :
  2. chrisMBP

chrisMBP Member

Well i can't help but this happens to me also. I have been using the app, Tone Picker for custom notification tones and also the app Zedge, it doesn't happen every time, but on some restarts the tones are set to default.
  3. ArmageddonX

Yeah I use Zedge for my custom tones. It's still happening every time I restart my phone. It's very strange. =(
  4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Are the third party tones/sounds on the SD card? If so, that's why. When Android is loading up, it tries loading everything simutaneously. The sound profile will generally load before the SD card is mounted, so the OS can't find the sound files. If it can't find the sound files, it will use the default sounds.

The only (longterm) fix I know of is to root and manually copy the sounds you want to use to /system/media/ringtones and /system/media/notifications.
    chrisMBP likes this.
  5. ArmageddonX

Randomly my ringtones will reset to the default sounds and even more strange my phone will randomly mute itself entirely & I cannot get it to make sound until I restart it.
    ladyc_833 likes this.
  6. jerofld

If it were just the sounds, I'd think that you have sounds on the SD card.

I'd think you should try factory resetting to clear out the phone.
  7. ArmageddonX

I use Zedge and I think it stores my ringtones on my SD Card. So that might be why the ringtones keep getting reset. I'll try to see if I can get Zedge to store the tones on my main on-board memory. However, this would not explain the volume issue.

I have been leaning towards doing a factory reset but it is kind of intimidating to me. I don't want to lose something on my phone I forgot to back-up.
  8. jerofld

Ah, my first guess of it resetting to default sounds was the SD card. It can happen if your phone doesn't load the SD card quickly during boot or if you turn on Disk Mode and then the phone tries to access that sound and it cant because the phone is in disk mode. I avoid this by using an app called MyPhoneExplorer. It lets me sync files wirelessly.

But you also said that your sound goes mute randomly? That's why I didn't suggest it before. A factory reset may fix it.

For doing a backup, make sure all of your contacts are backed up, either in the Google Cloud or to your SD card. Make sure all your SMSes are backed up (The messenger app has a backup feature). They also will be saved to the SD card

App settings will likely be lost, but some non-root apps will make backups of your apps so you don't have to re-download them, but they don't retain the settings. ES File Explorer is such an app.

Everything else should be fairly easy to restore manually.
    ArmageddonX likes this.
  9. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Threads merged to bring more focus on the issue. Good luck finding resolution!
    marctronixx likes this.
  10. ArmageddonX

I've narrowed down the "mute" problem to an App. Seems like if I solve words too quickly on Scramble With Friends it turns my sounds off. If I force-close the game then my sounds come back on.

The ringtone issue is Zedge. Until they offer an option to store the ringtones on the SD-Card or until I move them manually I'll just have to deal with the issue.

Thanks everyone.
  11. jerofld

So...if your ringtones are not stored on the SD card, then where are they? I'm sure they're in the SD card, somewhere, but likely in a hidden folder. If you can find the hidden folder they're stashed in, you can move them out of the hidden folder. Astro, ES File Explorer, and other apps like that will have options to view hidden folders.

Or just go to Zedge's website and find the ringtones and download them manually. They should have the same name.
  12. ArmageddonX

I apologize. I meant to type "Until they have an option to store them on the main-disk". They are on the SD card. I could just move them with Astro. Where would I put them if I found them?
  13. jerofld

A folder called "Ringtones" should suffice. I have my ringtones and notifications sounds in a folder called "Misc Stuff" and I don't have any problems with them. If Zedge is putting them in a hidden folder, then I'm thinking that's why Android doesn't load them on boot.
  14. ArmageddonX

New problem here for me. Now even if I set it to sounds stored on my phone (not on my SD card) it still resets them. Totally randomly too. Sometimes with restart, other times just for no reason. ::sigh:: I can't figure this out!
  15. jerofld

Would you be willing to download and flash a RUU? A RUU (ROM Utility Upgrade) is a windows program (but if you don't have Windows, I can find a ZIP file for you) that will re-flash everything on your phone. Everything is 100% stock from HTC. But rooters use RUUs to recover a device they have royally screwed up, so the link is from the root section. Again, it's 100% HTC stuff and you won't be rooted if you run it. It doesn't void your warranty, because it doesn't unlock your device or anything. It even guides you through installation. All you need is HTC Sync installed and it should be good to go:

2.17.651.5 RUU

That's the most recent OTA (2.17.651.5) file. Consider it like a super factory reset. The file service likes to pressure people into buying their service to download, but if you refresh semi-often, you'll get a free download slot. I kinda wish HTC would just host files like these on their servers, TBH.
  16. K0rtnie

K0rtnie New Member

Hello, I just signed up here because I ran across your problem while Googling my own, and basically it's the same problem - reset phone, phone turns on and is using the default tones for some reason. Except my problem is slightly different, sometimes when powering back on it seems to randomly select music from my SD and begins to play. And in the notification bar there is no icon showing that the media player is running, and there is no way to stop this music unless I restart the phone again or let the song finish.
  17. genuser

genuser Well-Known Member

Assuming you have root....
    1) copy the ringtones and notifications to /system/media/audio/...
    2) change permission and ownership to match others in that directory
    3) delete/rename the ones on your SD CARD so they won't be found
    4) reboot so ones in system are found
    5) select again
  18. ArmageddonX

I'm not root'ed. I suppose my best choice is to backup my pictures, video's, & other stuff and do a factory reset. I really wanted to avoid doing that...
  19. ladyc_833

ladyc_833 Member

Mine just started doing this several weeks ago. Whenever I power back up my ringer is muted and it resets notification, ringer, everything to something different..not the default tones either. I've set default as the same thing and it still goes to completely different sound.

Just thought of something..before I pull the battery and power back up..I always clean out cookies and cache and system clean..but I've always done that...:rolleyes:but its a thought :confused:
  20. ArmageddonX

Mine is fixed. Want to know what it was? I would have never made this correlation but I had about 15,000 text messages in my phone. I deleted them all and now my sounds are not resetting & the phone is operating super-fast like it was when I first got it.

~ ArmyX
    jerofld, chrisMBP and EarlyMon like this.
  21. chrisMBP

chrisMBP Member

that is so weird that the number of messages had something to do with it.
  22. MobileES

MobileES Well-Known Member

I've noticed this with this phone occasionally, my ringtones will randomly change to something from my music folder or to a completely different ringtone. I thought the ICS update would fix this, however not the case. I am running the stock rom.
  23. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

That is weird, never heard of that issue on this phone before. Lets what others say, otherwise you might have to FR
  24. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member Contributor

when you reboot your phone.. notice the text at the bottom saying it cant load SDcard.. its like that for about 30 seconds.. then goes away.. i think that is the issue..
  25. My wife inherited my Evo 3D a month or so ago and she is now experiencing a problem. Every day, at some point (not sure when), the volume on her alarm resets to maximum volume. For our arrangement, that is far too loud. Every night, she has to go adjust the volume so as not to have her phone be obnoxiously loud. It holds through the night, but by the next night, it is set at max again.

It does seem to coincide with the ICS update, but neither of us are certain.

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how/where to start looking for the culprit?