sound profiles

Last Updated:

1. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

are their any real sound profiles? i'm coming from blackberry and am used to using different profiles. i have seen the airplane and silent profiles but was wondering if i was missing something...i have seen several apps for this but was wondering if it was in the original os anywhere...if not is their an app for this that anyone would recommend?

Advertisement
  2. blazingwolf

blazingwolf Well-Known Member

Beautiful Widget also gives you a vibrate profile. Haven't found any specific profiles in the OS yet.

3. CatsTide

thanks...basically what i'm looking for is a customizable profile for night so i can set everything to silent except for phone calls and sms.

4. CrunchSA

CrunchSA Member

you should check out Locale. I'm trying it out for the same reasons and it's pretty nice so far.

5. blazingwolf

blazingwolf Well-Known Member

Hmm, might have to try that one out.

6. Jim_1234

Jim_1234 Active Member

locale works for me but I had to choose a time for it to switch to night profile. I can't believe there isn't a better profile app.

I'm also looking for a app that will reset the phone every night to give it a fresh start every day.

7. sbank

sbank Member

I haven't tried it yet, but I have this bookmarked for when my Droid arrives Monday:

FoxyRing | LevelUp Studio

(I'm also coming from a BlackBerry.)

-Steve

8. bwsmith

bwsmith Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat. I just came from a Storm and loved that I could customize a profile to only allow alarms and phone calls to come through at night. Silent mode almost works except for it mutes calls too.

9. bwsmith

Locale sucks. All it lets you do is change the phone call settings, not the notifications. That is useless for me. If I just wanted calls muted, I would use silent mode. I want email and other notifications off while I sleep, but I want the ringer to work in case a call comes in. Loving the Droid, but the lack of this feature is ticking me off and I can't find an app that will do it. Ear came close, but it won't give you an on/off option for notifications, only vibrate. argg.

10. CatsTide

keep looking and if you find something post back on this thread...i'll do the same.

11. 1979w72

1979w72 Member

Coming from Windows Mobile and this was one of the first utilties I looked for also - currently trying Quick Profiles. You have to setup your own profile definitions but it does let you set the volume for ringer, media, notification, alarm and voice. Profiles is another one.

12. CatsTide

how bout email? seems simple enough but my main concern is muting email notifications at night but leaving everything else the same. i can do that manually but i would like to have it done automatically.i don't want to get woken up by an email but if i get a call or sms in the night it is probably important.

mccoubd likes this.
  13. 1979w72

1979w72 Member

Looks like notifications are bundled together in Quick Profiles so I don't know how you would split up email/sms. Maybe one of the other profile apps can do this? Voice does have its own setting.

14. Jim_1234

Jim_1234 Active Member

Coming from black berry this is annoying that android doesn't do this out of the box. locale played havoc on my phone.

Here is my work around until something else comes out.

I made a short cut to sound and display settings on the home page. Goto ringer volume, from here you can mute your notifications and adjust the ringer. Just make sure you uncheck use incoming call volume for notifications.

Then when I wake up I crank the ringer volume and check the box. Not a great solution but it doesn't make my phone unstable either.

15. bwsmith

Night ringer is a no go as well.

16. bwsmith

That will work for now. Thanks. I didn't see the option for separate volumes.

17. tfj

tfj New Member

Can you elaborate?

I'm looking for this kind of app as well...in particular, simply to mute email notifications at night. I need SMS messages to come through in case our servers decide to have problems...

18. jolenemae21

jolenemae21 Well-Known Member

i downloaded an app named "profiles" havent gotten to play around with it mut it seems it should do all your looking for :)

19. tfj

tfj New Member

It's close, but Profiles has a single volume setting for Notifications (Email, SMS, Calendar, etc) which I think is the fault of most of the apps I've seen.

@bwsmith, I loaded Night Ringer, and it seems like it would be promising, except I wasn't able to load emergency contacts for phone or text. That would probably suffice if I could get it to work.

20. bwsmith

It doesn't have the options we need to set up that configuration. Basically it just turns off the ringer.

21. tfj

tfj New Member

So sounds like we're still looking for the right solution. I'm really surprised that it doesn't exist. If I had the time I'd get on it...

In the meantime, I've just ended up muting my email notification sounds all the time, since during the day I'm either at my desk anyway or using my phone on a semi-regular basis. Emergency notifications still come in via SMS, which set off a ringtone.

Rawr.

22. borderless

borderless Well-Known Member

For what it's worth it looks like Foxy Ring just added Emergency Contact support. I just installed it. Looks like a very good app.

Curious if it's going to be a resource hog.

23. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

Nope , foxy doesn't do this as far as I can see. I too shut off my BB today, and as I type this as 11pm its chiming I have email. I really want a profile that will turn off email and sms sounds at nite, and leave the phone on. I can't believe no one has written something for this!

24. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

think i might have found the app: timeriffic. check it out.

25. CatsTide

looks nice...trying it out