Sound quality when recording videoSupport

Last Updated:

1. SatchmoJr

SatchmoJr New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    Have you ever tryied to make a video when you're at a concert? (I'm not speaking about a classical concert!)
    I did and the result was horrible for the sound part :(
    Is there a trick when I want a good quality audio?
    just keeping the Phone in the air is not enough :p

Thankx 4 any answer

C ya
    SatchmoJr

Advertisement
  2. MDesire2010

MDesire2010 Well-Known Member

I hope Satch is Satriani! (huge fan)

I was at a Slash concert a couple months ago and the video quality was superb, but like you mentioned the sound wasn't so good. (Paradise City was hardly re-listenable)
    The volume inside concerts is ridiculously loud especially with every cheering and screaming. I think it's too much for the Desire to input causing the distortion.

As for an actual setting to help this? If you switch the Video Resolution to WVGA 800 x 480 I've heard this will help with sound. If you're on Froyo you should be able to bump it up to 720 as well. I've heard arguments on which is better for Audio though so maybe experiment!

3. SatchmoJr

SatchmoJr New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi MDesire2010,
    Nope.. Satch stands for Louis Amstrong ;-)
    Thankx for your reply. I am on Froyo 2.2 so I'm recording with 720p. But it didn't change nothing.. :-(
    Anyway.. I won't record any concert anymore :) Just take pictures :)

4. Seamonkey007

Seamonkey007 New Member

I completely agree with the above comments... This phone is garbage when recording at gigs... even my old nokia brick from 5 years ago knocked spots off this tragedy. This is completely unacceptable for a 'next gen' handset... even the camera and the video rec. is pretty crap. COME ON HTC get your act together...:mad:

5. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

The sound quality is bad, because Desire records audio as mono (1 channel) and compresses it at low 96kbps quality. These are my observations with OS v2.3.4, so perhaps with Froyo it is even worse.

We can't do anything about channels, but I think I saw a comment somewhere about audio quality. The trick is to start a good quality voice recorder first (like PCM Recorder) and then immediately after that start recording video. Then you just add the new audio into video (mux) and boom: you have a much better sound in the recorded video!