Sounds in my pocketSupport

Last Updated:

1. woodyt74

woodyt74 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This SF is driving me CRAZY! Sorry to shout but I carry my phone in my pants pocket and all day long it will intermittently sound a triple note. I take the phone out, turn it on and nothing...no notifications, no calls, nothing. I try pressing everywhere on the phone, power on/off switch, volume rocker, all around the phone front, back, sides, top, bottom and every combination I can think of but I can't duplicate the sounds. Also, the sound is unlike any that I can find on the phone.

Anyone have any ideas about what to do? Much as I love the SF, if this continues, it will be returned!! :(

Advertisement
  2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Stab in the dark here : It might be the sound made when you switch/drop signal between your 3G and 1X or all together.

woodyt74 likes this.
  3. 90reefernyc

90reefernyc Member

+1 That was happening to me in a basement were there was no signal very annoying.

4. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

Alright..I've been meaning to test this, and you finally gave me a reason to, since I'm pretty sure it's the lost-the-signal tone you're hearing.

[Cue storybook-style orchestra]

Now, on Sundays I go somewhere where everyone loses cell signal - a combination of being out in the boonies and a building with a metal roof. And I'm nearly positive that I did lose signal there, at least sometimes - BUT I didn't hear anything. So it must be one of the sound settings.

Sooooo..I wanted to test this out. But in order to do so, I'd have to actually lose the signal. Well, I thought, just throw it in the microwave - guarding it so no one turns it on - since it acts as a Faraday cage, simple enough. Nope, still had 1-2 bars. After a bit more thought, I put the phone in an anti-static bag from an old hard drive..nope, 0-1 bars. Added another bag - no change. So right now I'm out of ways to test the dang thing, I'm afraid. But I'd go through your sound settings and turn them down, pretty sure one controls it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help ._.

(As a fun sidenote, my parents now think I'm even more insane for putting my phone in the microwave, especially once I started adding the bags XD)

woodyt74 likes this.
  5. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

Hahaha, you had me laughing out loud at my desk job.

What if you just wrap a crap ton of tin foil around it?

Or lead...

And yeah, to be quite honest, I have yet to hear this noise everyone talks about and I lose my signal plenty...

6. Moonfire

Woo, glad I made one person laugh at least! : D And was thinking about foil, but wasn't sure if that'd block the signal or amplify it. Might still try it, although I think we're low on it right now. And lead's a bit hard to come by : P

7. woodyt74

Thanks for the laugh!:D

8. woodyt74

Is there a way to turn it off?

9. shazbonk

shazbonk Member

Toggle airplane mode to reproduce the sound

Moonfire likes this.
  10. noroth

noroth Well-Known Member

yep! I too get that sound. Usually happens in the elevator at school when my reception drops to nil. It would kinda be nice to turn off or something.

11. Moonfire

Oh sure, now you tell me : P

Allllright, if you want to turn the tone off, go to Menu > Settings > Sound & display > Ringer volume, and turn Notification volume all the way down. Not sure if you want it on for other things, though.

PaulRivers and woodyt74 like this.
  12. woodyt74

Yep, that is it. I moved for 3G to 1X while watching the phone and that triggered the sound.

So if I do this I will lose sound for email, messaging, etc. notifications? Is that the price of sanity? :D

13. Jacki1008

Jacki1008 Well-Known Member

14. chasemyaccord

chasemyaccord Well-Known Member

You could've always tried turning the microwave on. I'm sure your phone would be getting zero bars shortly after :p

All kidding aside, I'm glad we know where that sound is coming from. I have yet to hit a 1x zone, so I don't know what the noise is yet. I just hope putting it in silent mode prevents the sound since I'd hate to have it go off at work (I know one area that's a dead zone).

15. Jacki1008

Jacki1008 Well-Known Member

PaulRivers likes this.
  16. wtherrell

wtherrell Well-Known Member

17. woodyt74

Got the update and it removed the service sounds going off all day. It also seems to have cured the email push bug because I'm now getting email without doing a refresh. Those two items made this a good update for me, :D

18. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

OMG, thank you *so* much to Moonfire and Jacki1008.

Last night I tried to check facebook on my phone and it wouldn't work at all. Not a big deal I thought, I just rolled over and went to sleep.

Imagine how fun it was to find my phone making this obnoxious chirping noise every 10 minutes or so! 1am, 2am...seems like I could just turn it off, right? Yeah - if I want to lose my alarm clock, that would totally work.

So I got my ass out of bed, over to my laptop and did a search and found this thread. Found out about the update - buuuuut that requires internet access, which is why my phone is constantly beeping - because I don't have it. Turned the Notification Volume down (who the hell would have thought to look under "Ringer"?) and it stopped ****ing beeping. :) Downloaded the update today. :)

So thanks - that info was really, really helpful. :)