• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Source code for android.jar

tweakt

Lurker
Oct 25, 2008
As a long time java developer who frequently works with open source, I'm used to having the java source for libraries available for reference within eclipse. If you work on android with the Eclipse plugin you probably found there is no source code for android libraries. (If you browse to an android class, you get a rough decompiled view of it, but not very useful).

Since the source was released a few days ago I managed to locate all the necessary .java source for android.jar that comes with the SDK.

If you have Git installed, the following script should it. If someone can recommend a convenient place, I could upload the premade android-src.jar. Now once you have it, you have to remove the built-in "Android Library" classpath container from your project. Then manually add the android.jar file, and you can then associate android-src.jar with it. Then you have source code at your fingertips for all of the android API. =D

#!/bin/sh

git-clone git://git.source.android.com/platform/frameworks/base android-api
cd android-api
git checkout android-1.0
jar cvf ../android-src.jar -C core/java .
jar uvf ../android-src.jar -C graphics/java .
jar uvf ../android-src.jar -C location/java .
jar uvf ../android-src.jar -C media/java .
jar uvf ../android-src.jar -C opengl/java .
jar uvf ../android-src.jar -C sax/java .
jar uvf ../android-src.jar -C services/java .
jar uvf ../android-src.jar -C telephony/java .
jar uvf ../android-src.jar -C wifi/java .
cd ..

Hi All,

I would like to view the source code of Android SDK default application. For that I need android.jar for android 1.0.

Could you please any one send it to me ?

Thanks for your time!!

Thanks Again!!
Yasmin

As a long time java developer who frequently works with open source, I'm used to having the java source for libraries available for reference within eclipse. If you work on android with the Eclipse plugin you probably found there is no source code for android libraries. (If you browse to an android class, you get a rough decompiled view of it, but not very useful).

Since the source was released a few days ago I managed to locate all the necessary .java source for android.jar that comes with the SDK.

If you have Git installed, the following script should it. If someone can recommend a convenient place, I could upload the premade android-src.jar. Now once you have it, you have to remove the built-in "Android Library" classpath container from your project. Then manually add the android.jar file, and you can then associate android-src.jar with it. Then you have source code at your fingertips for all of the android API. =D

#!/bin/sh

cd android-api
git checkout android-1.0
cd ..

Upvote 0
In case anyone is still interested in the packaged source, let me know where you want it. It's not that much of a hassle and if I can do it, anyone can. This said, I'm still happy to provide it just to contribute something and help a lazy developer.

Cheers
Martin
Please provide the packaged source or precompiled android.jar as found in the latest build.
thank you

Upvote 0
I've repackaged source for 1.5, 1.6, and 2.1 along with a long article explaining how to get it and what to do with it. Hopefully this will be definitive until Google gives us a better way to attach source or just does it as part of the SDK download. Attaching Android platform source in Eclipse
Let me know if that doesn't work out for ya...

Reactions: yktan
Upvote 0
I've repackaged source for 1.5, 1.6, and 2.1 along with a long article explaining how to get it and what to do with it. Hopefully this will be definitive until Google gives us a better way to attach source or just does it as part of the SDK download. Attaching Android platform source in Eclipse
Let me know if that doesn't work out for ya...

Great! It works! But I've another question...how can use "non-public classes" of the source code in Eclipse?

for example android.os.SystemProperties is present in source code...but not in android.jar of SDK...so this class is not present in the tree of Eclipse...and I can't use it to compile a project!

How can configure eclipse to use not only SDK but the entire android source code?

thanks!

Upvote 0

#!/bin/sh

cd android-api
git checkout android-1.0
cd ..

I have downloaded the source code for android in windows by executing the following line :
git clone git://git.source.android.com/platform/frameworks/base android-api

I was just browsing through Bluetooth source code in eclipse and bumped on this ServiceManager class whose source i couldn't read !! When i browsed through the android.jar i couldn't see the source code for few packages like java.nio ,etc..

How can i get the source code for the above mentioned classes ?? I would like to have all the source related to android 2.2 version !! How do i get that ?

Please let me know..

-Adithya

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones