source vs not from source

Last Updated:

1. chosendude

chosendude Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

alright so i see all of these new froyo roms from source, and i guess i have one that is not from source, but it runs fine. I guess what im going at is what is the advantage of having a rom from source compared to not from source.

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Source built ROM = More customizable options like adding a "reboot" feature when hold the power button, volume controls can skip songs when listing to music, etc.

Modified ROMs = Less customization but Pete (Bugless Beast) for instance, adds scripts and hardware shortcuts (hold power button and press "r" to reboot). Modified Froyo ROMs are built by modifying a leaked version of Motorola's build (which is from source).

Bottom line...there are good and not so good versions of both kinds of ROMs. There is no "right" one to use, it's just a personal preference.

chosendude likes this.
  3. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just me though, but I notice more people having complaints about "From Source" ROMs not running on their devices than I do from "Modified ROMs". That might be just me though.

4. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I have not had any luck with From Source roms. That said, I haven't tried Cyanogen or Koush, since BB .4 has been incredible for me (battery state is currently 1 day, 7 hours and 22 minutes with 40% remaining. Everything on except blue tooth. Usage = Not much multimedia (few vids), mostly checking email, twitter, browsing web and market, downloading updates, sporadic use of Tesla LED...)

5. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

The 2.2 source is new...You should view the source ROMs as almost being in a "beta" state right now. They will improve overtime but the devs are still finding and resolving issues right now.