• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Sourcery 4.2.1 Pre-Release Thread

Were you guys able to get flash working? I installed it but it didn't work anymore with 4.2.

Flash still works on 4.2 sideloaded unless you're using a browser that doesn't support it like Chrome. It should work for you on the AOSP browser still used on the Gnex and Sourcery.

TexDaddy57 said:
I have CWM 6.0.1.5 now, do I really have to go with TWRP? Or has cwm addressed this issue

I can't speak for there not being any CWM versions that have correctly addressed this but I personally had to switch to TWRP after CWM 6.0.1.5-Touch failed for me.

Reactions: TexDaddy57
Upvote 0
You have to go to irc.freenode.net and get the link from the channel ##sourcery.

Let me tell you. It reminds me of the old stable pre-Jelly Bean builds we had. I never thought that JB was as stable as ICS. Well, I don't know what this crazy dev did, but not only did add new features I've never seen before on any rom, but he made it fast and stable. *sigh of relief*

This is a must flash. Period. I'm very excited about this build. (4.2.1. btw)

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
yes!, first post and been on jbs since early, spent the last week trying to get the new toggles mod working on rc 2, and its working fantastic on 3, and would like to say thanks to the team for all their work and time involved and the help they give to everyone and not just in this forum, fantastic Rom guys and thank you again for all..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Would love to see a changelog.

Steven, how's your battery life? Mine has been atrocious on RC1. Running Franco kernel currently.

My battery is continually between 98 and 100 percent. Of course, I'm plugged in. :p Short answer, I dunno, just flashed it. :)

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Had a bit of a time trying mine (admittedly, I got myself in the boat I found myself sinking with).

Figured I'd take the plunge, and go for 4.2.1 R3...downloaded, so I thought. Made a Nandroid using the Toolkit that I've come to love and cherish. Went to install the new load, but it wouldn't take, since I was still on Clockwork 5, so, I downloaded the updated Toolkit (v1.6), and then updated CW to 6, having recalled that I had read something about it. And therein lay my downfall...because while it DID load the new ROM for me, it errored out immediately upon bootup, with the gapps force closing, and then setup wizard unable to start (I loaded the new load from the IRC link, and the 4.2 apps I think from the Sourcery page). So, I figured ok, I'll restore. But...the 1.6 Toolkit doesn't use CW recovery any more...so, ok, I still have a copy of 1.5x somewhere, so, I fired that up...but since 4.2.1 installed that /0 folder and moved everything...the restore wouldn't load, because it couldn't find the file from within recovery.

Was FINALLY able to restore my Nandroid, after copying the Clockwork folder from /0 back to the /InternalStorage directory, and then rebooting into recovery and restoring. I JUST now finished copying all files from the /0 back to the regular directory, and deleted the /0 folder completely. Honestly, I am slightly nervous about powering off my phone now lol.

Still trying to figure out what went wrong...

And if anyone has any suggestions, or step-bys for the latest updates, I am more than all ears.

And just for completedness-sake, Before I tried, I did a TiBu of apps/system data, created it's .zip. Wiped data, cache, and dav. installed the ROM, and gapps. Seemed pretty straight-forward...and I busted it. lol.

(phew. restarted the phone after deleting /0 and all seems well so far.)

Upvote 0
After the fiasco I had with the sdcard changes for multiuser support with 4.2 on my Nexus 7 (before they fixed TWRP), I'm leery about installing any 4.2.1 build.

I had to restore to stock twice and restore my sdcard contents with Wugs before I gave up and went back to CNA.

yea like teddyearp said in another thread, 4.2.x seems to be geared towards tablets with this user accounts fab... And lockscreen widgets is just another gimmick to me personally, nothing of substance...

4.0 to 4.1 was a good jump but 4.1 to 4.2 was more on of a trip on the curb lol (as far as innovation is concerned...)

so unless you just HAVE TO HAVE THE LATEST, just wait it out, I know I am!!!

Reactions: teddyearp
Upvote 0
stop using the toolkit... boot into your recovery to install anything.

You need the most recent version of cwm or twrp or you will have issues with multiple /0 files. The first /0 file is needed on 4.2 roms.

Boot into recovery
factory reset
install rom
install gapps
boot up and you should be golden

I tried that after I got it working again last night (figured since I had figured out how to get it running again, I'd give it another go). I'm going to try to redownload the ROM/APPS and try again. No matter what I tried last night, I always ended up with the "Setup Wizard" error, and it wouldn't let me past that. I click ok, it instantly popped up the error again. Hopefully it's just a corrupt download or something (they seem to install ok, but hey, never know..)

Will likely try tomorrow after work, since I was up til 4 last night getting it back up, was out and about all day today, and I probably should sleep lol. looking forward to it tho!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones