South Carolina Has something to look forward to...

Last Updated:

1. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was having problems with my cable service with Time Warner. So with the issues I have, I called them up. I am told that I have a 10-15 minute waiting time. While waiting on the phone for a tech, I'm listening to the ads and messages that playback while you are on hold. I hear the message "Time Warner is offering 4G for mobile devices". So I'm wondering if they are going to partner with Sprint to accomplish this. So after waiting on the phone for 15 minutes, the tech acknowledges me with a greet. I tell him my problem I'm having with my home cable service. After all is done he asked me if I had any questions. I said yes but it is off topic. I told him that I was listening to the ads and heard Time Warner is offering 4G mobile networking. He confirmed that they are in process in offering 4G in South Carolina and right now only offer 3G data services. He even said that they are partnering up with Sprint to bring 4G statewide from Spartanburg to Columbia/Sumter and most of the coastal areas. He said there is no time frame but they (Time Warner) are working with Sprint to get the network setup. So just for the hell of it I asked him if Time Warner was going to offer a cellular service. He couldn't confirm that they have anything right now but mentioned that they are going to release a service (Sprint) for data and the cellular part is being plan. He also mentioned that they were looking at a phone for their cellular service but the phone didn't meet Time Warner's criteria so they pulled the service and is now reworking it for a different phone.

So I believe the phone that they are referring to was the HTC EVO but that is just my speculation. I believe they saw all the complaint/issues and pulled the idea for the time being. I'm excited that Time Warner is partnering up with Sprint to establish 4G in the South Carolina area and is actually surprised they offer a 3G/4G service in some states. So for those that have cable service with Time Warner you may have something to look forward to in the long run.

Advertisement
  2. Coop1979

Coop1979 Member

TWC owns part of Clearwire (just like Sprint) so it makes sense that where Clearwire goes, TWC goes. But Greenville will be the first area in SC to get 4G. It's the largest media market in SC by far.

3. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Hah...I hope so, that's where I live. But SC has to be at the bottom of the list. I'm betting sometime in 2011.

4. sweteg

sweteg Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that we would be getting it lol. I'm signing and moving to Greenville to next July after I'm done with rotations and graduation. That would be a nice gift if it happens. Thanks for the info, but I thought only Charter was available upstate and TWC in Columbia area (where I reside now and use).

5. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Yep, Upstate is Charter country only.

6. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Hmm interesting. I know Cox Cable is working on cell service through Sprint and I wonder if they will go 4G as well. Maybe SPrint is making nice little back deals with a bunch of cable providers?

7. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

This sucks. I am almost halfway between Atlanta and Greenville and just on the outskirts of 4g in Atlanta and sure to be outside of greenville coverage area unless they can connect the dots. Wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't literally 3-4 miles away from a 4g signal.

8. pgus13

pgus13 Well-Known Member

I just don't understand how Detroit doesn't get 4G before areas that are not less populated!!

9. InfamousStylesP

InfamousStylesP Active Member

whoa! sumter....was not expecting that at all lol.

10. thfc1799

thfc1799 Active Member

Myrtle Beach??? :rolleyes:

lol.