• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spam Icon Randomly Appeared On Desktop

jzolghadr

Lurker
Jul 13, 2010
Has anyone encountered a random icon appearing on your android desktop?

I've hardly used my phone at all today, but noticed this afternoon an Icon called "NetSpend" with an image, blue w white text "NETSPEND Prepaid Card You Are Approved".

Clearly bunk, no idea where it came from. I haven't installed any new apps recently, thogh I did download Ad Network Detector once I noticed it. Couldn't identify it.

I can long press the icon, and it will let me drag it off the desktop into the trash, but I don't know if that will really address the root cause.

Essentially it's a Bookmark shortcut with a customized icon (though it's url is not in my browser's bookmarks)

I intended to launch the icon to see what it redirected to, and found it attempted to run a series of redirect links, faster than I was able to longpress-select-copy the URL for examination. Then the Bionic's shitty default browser FB share feature popped up proposing to post a link so I went to airplane mode before any more damage could be done, and changed my FB password from my laptop.

Links included references to hjlas.com. the-awardzcenter.org, livemobilesearch.com, & surveyrewardscenter.org

Just trying to be as thorough as possible in order to identify and draw awareness.

Anyone seen anything like this before? If I delete the icon, am I in the clear, or is there something else lurking potentially on my system?

It's some variant of Airpush ads ... it comes from a recently installed app. I would try Addons Detector or TrustGo Ad Detector to find which app did that. Then delete the app, delete the icons and go to Google Play and give the app the lowest rating possible and flag it as spamming. We have to let these developers know that push ads are NOT acceptable in any form.

Upvote 0
I have this problem. It happens often. I've tried to locate the offending application but can't. I called t-mobile, and they were a bunch of idiots. Absolutely no help at all. It's as if they sanctioned it.

The icons on the desktop are really just URLs and when you click them you are taken to various websites. It's extremely obnoxious.

OK. I got "airpush". In my case it was an application for "The US Constitution".

Oddly I called t-mobile. They were very unhelpful. Why don't they know about the airpush app? Tmo is useless.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones