Speak To Text Instructions

Last Updated:

1. T-Mobile

T-Mobile Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm really enjoying using speak to text in all of the applications. With the search box on the main screen, are instructions on what voice prompts you can say to start actions?

I've figured out by trial that you can say "Call Jon Smith" or "Directions to (address)" and it works. "Text Jon Smith" doesn't work.

Also, a quick tip I found out is that when the android keyboard is open, you can swipe your finger from the left side of the keyboard to the other, and the voice to text is initiated!

Edit: I found a list on google groups: (source)

You can also preface your search by speaking special words to take the following actions:
    [​IMG]
    Say "Call," followed by a name from your contacts, followed by the kind of phone number ("mobile," "work," and so on)-for example, "Call Mike home." If there is a single match, the number is dialed automatically. See Dialing by voice.

[​IMG]
    Say "Directions to," followed by an address, name, business name, type of business, or other destination, to get directions to that location from Google Maps.

[​IMG]
    Say "Navigate to," followed by an address, name, business name, type of business, or other destination to get spoken, turn-by-turn directions to that destination.

[​IMG]
    Say "Map of," followed by an address, name, business name, type of business, or other location, to view that location on Google Maps.

Advertisement
  2. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

Definitely think they should add "Text to <name>". That feature would be beyond useful when driving. In a similar vein, is there any way to have the phone read received texts? That would be even more useful in conjunction with the voice-initiated text message.

3. chaoscentral

chaoscentral Well-Known Member

Not sure about the stock messaging app, but I know Handcent SMS can read texts back to you using speech synthesis.