Speaker and Durability

Last Updated:

1. yahoowizard

yahoowizard Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How exactly is the speaker on the Samsung Captivate? I'm with an iPhone 2G and I think things sound louder with headsphones+max volume than the iPhone's speaker. Like, the only way I can hear a song outloud with a few others is if we're not near anyone or anywhere outside or making any noise. I mean, it's the most fail I've probably seen on phone in terms of a speaker. That being said, I'm hoping the Captivate has a decent speaker?

Also, durability? I've dropped my iPhone 2G at least, with no exaggeration, 30 times, and yeah, it's holding up. Backs filled with more scratches than anything, the bottom plastic is starting to tear up a little, but other than that, it's working and not broken. Will I survive with the Captivate?

I'm going to be trialing the iPhone 4 for a month or so via my dad and his workplace's offer, and yeah, within the next month, I'm going Captivate or i4...Hopefully, works well, since I've only stayed a year with almost all of my phones (except the iPhone 2G, which was three years =0...gotta love that app store). I'm really hoping Samsung comes out with some GPS fix, too, because my directions fail and I'm hoping to substitute my phone for a GPS...I've managed to work with it on the iPhone 2G via cell tower positioning/wi-fi+google maps for now, but yeah, I don't think I'd like a phone that shows me on the wrong street.

Advertisement
  2. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

I love the speaker phone on my captivate. Its a night and day difference compared to our iphone 3g. I had to use a wireless bluetooth with my old 3gs, but I have since lost it in my glovebox because the speaker phone works just fine while driving. I even have the music on still.

As far as dropping it, I dont drop phones. For the most part, I think it would hold up normal abuse. Just put a case on it, and you should be fine.

My gps is not as good as it should be, but if i put it in my dashboard mount, it works just fine. Samsung/att should have a fix for it in september. I still think att messed it up when they started messing with their own apps and tinkering with the OS.

Overall, I love it. I came from using the iPhone since they first came out. Ive had all generations except the iPhone4. I was done with the restrictions.

It will come down to what you like though. Good luck with the choice you make!

3. yahoowizard

Yeah, seemed to be the same problem with me. I'd hear news every single day of new apps being shot down for no reason at all, didn't really make any sense at all. And yeah, you got the "You're holding it wrong" as compared to "We're working on a GPS fix for y'all." But, other than the iPhone 4, you can really trust Apple to make a phone or any product that works efficently and flawlessly. I don't own, or even like Macs but there really isn't too much of a problem with them. With millions of people with an iPhone, too, any small problem like with the antennae is forced to be fixed by Apple, while Samsung has like, 39492 phones out there with more in the making and I'm not sure how many people have it either. Just don't want to be stuck with a broken phone, since like the iPhone 2G, I'm sure that everything's going to work, and work without lag on the iPhone 4.

4. lotreaglesfan

lotreaglesfan Well-Known Member

i have a body glove case and found out yesterday morning that the phone can survive a 7 foot drop off my bed... that sure freaked me out! lol... so it's durable... don't forget to watch this video....

YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S Durability Test

5. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

I like the speaker a lot. Using it as a GPS unit (hopefully in the not too distant future), I don't think there would be any issues hearing it in the car like I had with my 3GS.

The iPhone 2G was infreakingdestructable. I almost think one of the Apple design teams objectives with the 3G and now the i4 was to make them easier to break. Compared to CURRENT phones, I would say the captivate is going to hold up better to drops. It's lighter than the i4, and the plastic bezel protects the screen as well as giving it a little flexibility to absorb shock. My current problem with it is sweat messing with the headphone jack when I'm running.

6. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Never liked the speaker. But then, I came from a SE phone. Those phones have amazing speakers.

7. yahoowizard

Haha, I saw that video, and it looked pretty durable. Nonetheless, it was 9 minutes, and though it's pretty self-explainable without English, I wasn't sure whether or not there were scratches on the screen or not after some tests. As for speaker, yeah, sounds awesome, anything better than the 2G. Only wish the durability was as good as the iPhone 2G, since yeah, indestructable, and even waterproof for sure.

8. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

The speaker is WAY better on the Captivate than on the iPhone 2/3gs that I had, plus it's in the back instead of on the bottom where I would always end up accidentally covering it on the iPhone.