Speaker crackle, possibly caused by sim card holder rattle. Any ideas?

Last Updated:

1. mjcritchie

mjcritchie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there. Firstly just wanted to say how useful this forum has been in keeping up to date with all the latest goings on for my HTC Hero (well, T-Mobile G2 in my case).

Anyway. I'm having some problems with the speaker on my phone, the one you hold to your ear, rather than the one that plays music, loud speaker etc.
    I think I've found a solution, so wanted to share that with you guys, but also find out if anyone else has had a similar problem.

My phone has started crackling a lot when making calls. Other people can hear me fine, but their voice seems to crackle and fizz if it gets too loud. If I turn the volume up on my phone it gets even worse.

At first I thought it was a blown speaker or something, but looking at the sim card holder, it seems to be that that's causing a rattle, it gets vibrated when the sound comes through the speaker. When I tap the back of my phone, gently!, it makes a slight rattling sound.

I can eliminate the problem entirely by taking the back off the phone and firmly holding the top of the battery, thus stopping the sim card holder rattling around. However this isn't an ideal solution for everyday use!

Has anyone else experienced a similar thing with their phone?

Advertisement
  2. pitcha44

pitcha44 Member

ive not had a problem but are you sure the sim card holder is fully closed. when you put the card in and slide it over it should lock with a click.

3. mjcritchie

Ahh, thanks for that. The sim card holder wasn't clicked all the way across.
    That seems to have helped, but still not eliminated the problem entirely.

4. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member

It's probably the ONLY thing that really annoys me about the phone...the sim card holder IS a little rattly, I can hear it vibrate when I put the phone down and it makes the phone sound cheap. I've checked to make sure its all the way across and it is...I'm thinking of putting a slither of paper between the sim and battery to help stop it.

5. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member

I've actually just had a fiddle with the phone with the back off and its NOT the sim card holder that rattles...if you tap the top of the phone at the back it rattles...must be something inside the phone near to the camera lens that's loose.

6. mjcritchie

You're right.. it's not the sim card holder.
    I think it's something to do with the headphone port.
    I tried plugging in a pair of headphones, then if you tap the back, the rattle seems to have gone.

Again, not an ideal solution!

Seems to have fixed itself for the most part, the speaker no longer crackles/vibrates. Hope no-one else has been having this problem.

7. android604

android604 Active Member

bump on this problem, having the same issue

8. toddyc

toddyc Member

I'm having this problem to has anyone found a solution to it yet ?

9. Homer_Jay

Homer_Jay New Member

+1

Same problem here. Started out of the blue last week. Sound from speaker sounds crackly/distorted.

10. NeilB

NeilB Active Member

I find that its the camera - as its autofocus it has moving parts. The cure for me is to get the camera to focus on something and so use the mechanism.

Works for me anyway!

11. Homer_Jay

Homer_Jay New Member

Yeah, know what you mean about the camera. Tried using it, and call quality is still the same. As far as I can remember, the top of the phone has always 'rattled' slightly, probably due to the camera gubbins. Strange how it just started happening out of the blue.
    Just out of curiosity, what network are you guys that are having a similar problem on? I'm on Orange, and thought the quality issue could be down to them...

12. darkmast3r

darkmast3r Member

I too started having this problem yesterday. I searched the net and found that someone with a hero took there's to a repair shop and found out that it was tiny balls of dust on the internal ear speaker.

I blew by my earspeaker really hard a few times cause i didnt want to send mine off for a fault again (for the 3rd time) and the problem cleared.

Ive made a few calls to check that the problem had gone and yep, it sure has.

Hope this helps some of you guys out..

13. Nigredo

Nigredo Well-Known Member

I don't think this 'crackle' or whatever is an indicator that something is wrong. I noticed a couple of months ago that when I tap the phone on the back, a slight buzz (rattle) occurs. I when to a Phones4U store and asked what is that and one of the guys in the store happen to have a Hero so we tried it on his and it made the same rattle.

So the conclusion is that this is the mechanism for the vibrating function of the phone. I recall that some of my old phone did the same thing. Sony J70, Motorola V8...

14. dannyg777

dannyg777 Member

I guess i should have done the same thing, because my phone is out for repair for the third time for exactly the same problem. And this is the second phone for exactly the same thing. Initially, after tapping the top of the phone with the hand, the distortion in the speaker would go away, eventually, it never goes away, just sounds like a blown speaker on every call, that sometimes i have to use the bluetooth to understand the other caller. I ain't gonna carry a can of air on my pocket to blow out dust out of the speaker, this is a design flaw. I finally had Telus agree that this phone was garbage, and they actually told me they should stop selling it.