• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Speaker is terrible on Droid X

I use the phone in the dock as an alarm.

My Droid used to have the volume up 1/2 way. And it as loud. It would wake up my wife.

This morning my wife asked me if the alarm even went off, or if I woke up on my own because she never heard the Droid X go off. Sadly, the volume was up all the way and I barely heard it aftern ringing for 5 mins.

Can this be fixed with a OTA or is it a hardware issue?

Upvote 0
I am disappointed with the speaker volume and tone on my Droid X.

I did a test. Droid X vs. Garmin Nuvi GPS - Google Nav vs. Garmin built in maps.

I plotted a route across town and fired up both units in my car. I turned on my car radio. I started to drive.

Results:
1. The Garmin was louder and clearer than the Droid X when speaking turn by turn instructions.

2. The Garmin was loud enough while listening to the radio.

3. The Droid X was not loud enough to be heard over the radio(volume set to max).

I don't want to plug my Droid X into the AUX on the radio because I then lose use of the radio.

Is this a hardware flaw in the Droid X or something that can be fixed by a software update?

Upvote 0
I hope so. My ringer is not near loud enough. I don't usually keep my phone attached to me, so I need a loud ringer. Hope this isn't going to be a deal breaker.

Really trying to work with the ringer and speaker volume. Missed two calls today that I would have never missed with my Droid1 or Incredible. I love the phone otherwise, but really didn't plan on having to purchase a hearing aid to receive calls. Hopefully a software update will fix, if not, definately a deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0
Well, my speaker issues is strange. Talking on it is fine. Listening to it as the other line is ringing is low.

I talked to someone and they came thru loud n clear. No echo either on either side. I guess testing it in the same room as another phone was interfering with it. I dont know.

I feel a lil better now...

Upvote 0
Ok, now I've had time to listen to music on the Droid X and I ain't liking it. I'm comparing it to the iphone and it's so weak in comparison. Is it just me or do others feel the same way??? :mad:
The speaker is terrible compared to the last 2 androids I've had (Eris, Incredible). Can barely hear the ringer no matter what ringtone I use. The speakerphone is marginal at best. Judging from what I read on the web, this is one of the main complaints about the X. It could be some of us have defective phones, I hope not because I dread going through the whole VZW scenario of replacement (especially when they don't even have any in inventory) I think it might be a possible intermittent assembly defect due to the fact that some think it's great and others think it sucks. Bottom line: if it's a great speaker, everyone would agree on that (unless they are deaf).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones