Speaker problemsSupport

1. Rcecarbldr

Rcecarbldr Well-Known Member

Has anybody else had problems with the external speaker on their Evo? My original speaker blew or went bad and the sound was horrible, just like a blown speaker. I took it in and had it replaced and only a week later it's blown again. The only thing I keep at full volume is the ringer and it should be able to handle that. I was wondering if I'm the only one who's had this problem?

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

the ringer could be trying to reproduce freqs beyond its capacity thus causing the coil to over heat and fail. it is possible, though rarely documented online.

if you replace the speaker try a different ringtone next time or try to keep the volume lower....
  3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

too high of volume settings at ringtone creation could cause the issue. try other ringers and if the problem only is occurring with that one tone, edit it using one of the multiple free ringtone/audio tools out on the web. most of them let you adjust the volume and save it as a new ringtone

i have seen countless speaker issue threads...but none back to back like this unless the phone is used in a shop that produces metal shavings
  4. Rcecarbldr

Rcecarbldr Well-Known Member

Yes, I own and operate a Welding shop and therefore metal shavings are all over. I've never had this problem with phones in the past like my old Hero, why would this be an issue now? I just got the speaker replaced again and the people at the Sprint store said it was designed to handle any volume setting it has in it and also any ringtone it came equipped with, and I'm using Old Phone. My shop can be noisy so I have to keep the ringer at full volume to be able to hear it.
  5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I doubt it is the volume. Everyone I know with an EVO in a shop such as yours has issue with Debris getting in there. you might talk to the tech at the sprint store and see if there is anything you can do to protect the speaker/block materials from entering that area.

Remember...this phone you have isn't the other phones you had in the past. The construction and design is completely different, and from what I have read and seen it isn't designed to stop small debris like shavings etc from making their way in there.

personally, when I am at the shop I put a bluetooth in the ear and keep the phone protected
  6. PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair Well-Known Member

I just had the same problem. It was replaced free but I noticed the guy at Sprint who helped me said he also had the Evo and his speaker had to be replaced. I notice when I took it in they diagnosed it immediately - indicating to me I was not the first person to bring in an Evo with this problem. Would a poll be appropriate to see how widespread this might be?