• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speakerphone - heard better on Razr. Your thoughts?

Using a mobile phone speaker for music is never going to be a great experience...

Sadly, I'm in the process of returning the Droid (the phone is fine, but can't get service in my area, confirmed by Verizon, even though their maps say otherwise). I'm now considering Nexus One and TMobile, hence I'm reading the forums.

My current phone is a lil' 2 year old Nokia N95, which has stereo BOSE speakers. It's got the same spacial feel as if sound is floating around you and coming from all directions. It's brilliant.

It's 5 megapixel camera is STILL considered to be one of the best cellphone cameras ever, and it takes beautiful dvd quality video.

And no, raremage, the Nexus One is not "just a phone". If I wanted "just a phone", I can get "just a phone" and a calling card at the corner Exxon station for $19. It's nauseating to see people make excuses for obvious inadequacies and shortcomings for this otherwise marvelous piece of technology with one-liners such as "it's just a phone".

The technical knowledge was there 2 years ago, and without a doubt, long before that, and the audio-video mechanics available today (that is not being utilized) would probably be mind-blowing.

I'm still seeing threads and concerns regarding the camera on what should be a no-brainer feature on a flagship miracle device such as the Nexus One.

Why any manufacturer would continue to use mediocre audio components to this day amazes me. :thinking:

Upvote 0
To be fair, the iPhone speaker is also terrible, flat and just at a deeper level so it sounds like it might be better than the Nexus One.

P.S. I think it should be the law that no phone can play music through it's speaker. That'd sort the school kids out walking around playing their tinny crap in town - really annoying! :p

Your missing the business side; using it for a speakerphone is quite common. I used my Iphone this way from conferences and similar situations where you don't have a conference bridge.

You have to look at things from everyone's perspective, not just the 14 - 18 year old perspective.

Upvote 0
I felt like everyone could discern the iPhone speaker as pretty terrible. But here I am reading the opinion of someone who doesn't think in that manner. Therefore, you should also see that some may find the Nexus speaker perfectly fine.

Hey Esquire. I definitely understand what you mean. Every single user of every single phone will have a different opinion on every single feature depending on their uses. Completely acceptable and I'd never argue that fact. However, as DellyBelly said above, for business purposes (like what I will be using the phone partially for), the speakerphone can come in handy when writing something down, etc.

I fully respect everyone's use for different features of the phone. Perhaps you guys can share other things you've found with the phone that you're not crazy about?

Upvote 0
I agree the speaker leaves a lot to be desired. I missed 3 calls yesterday because I never heard it ring or vibrate in my pocket. The Droid or iPhone 3GS have very good speakers IMOP.

i made a thread about this to poll if people thought the ringer was loud or too soft. the only issues i'm facing with my phone right now is that there's a couple specks of dust under the screen and that the speaker is not loud enough...

Upvote 0
Just wanted to leave an update as promised. I received the replacement phone, and the issue (or I guess not a real "issue") appears to be there still. It's just a lousy speaker. So with this in consideration along with the crappy battery life I'm getting (I've turned off every possible service and it still depletes somehow!), I think I'm going to return it. Sending these phones back and forth is becoming a hassle. It really does a great job with having us not take physical stores for granted. Thank you everyone for your replies to this thread :)

Upvote 0
Just wanted to leave an update as promised. I received the replacement phone, and the issue (or I guess not a real "issue") appears to be there still. It's just a lousy speaker. So with this in consideration along with the crappy battery life I'm getting (I've turned off every possible service and it still depletes somehow!), I think I'm going to return it. Sending these phones back and forth is becoming a hassle. It really does a great job with having us not take physical stores for granted. Thank you everyone for your replies to this thread :)

The speakerphone is literally unusable. I returned my first N1 because the speaker wasn't working at all, and on both the first phone and the replacement the speakerphone is unusable.

I can hear the other person OKAY (though it is the worst phone I have ever used, out of probably 12-15 owned). However, the caller cannot understand me at all, the distortion is so bad.

I actually called my google voicemail and left a couple messages using the speakerphone. It is completely unintelligible. Google transcriptions are normally pretty far-off and funny, but on this one the transcription was like "WHAT THE F*#K?"... I listened to the recording on my computer, through good speakers, and could hardly make out a word.

It's a real shame, since Nokia phones I had a decade ago had pretty decent speakerphones, and more recent phones had GREAT speakerphones.

I'm just going to get in the habit of using BT and wired headsets. Oh well...

Upvote 0
Hey Esquire. I definitely understand what you mean. Every single user of every single phone will have a different opinion on every single feature depending on their uses. Completely acceptable and I'd never argue that fact. However, as DellyBelly said above, for business purposes (like what I will be using the phone partially for), the speakerphone can come in handy when writing something down, etc.

I fully respect everyone's use for different features of the phone. Perhaps you guys can share other things you've found with the phone that you're not crazy about?
Believe me, I have a bunch of gripes with this phone. No phone is perfect. I love to criticize because hopefully other users can see the light and the manufacturer will improve the phone.

I've had some time with this phone now and for sure the speakerphone is terrible. However, I don't think I've yet to own a phone where the speakerphone was good, so I really can't say.

Sorry to hear about your return. I really think an OS update will improve battery life. However, whether that's worth the return policy running out on you for something not confirmed is up to you. I'm in the same boat with battery problems but today is the first day where it's greatly improved. I credit it to the 3G only connection instead of 2G-3G preferred and my first conditioning of the battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones