• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spec that nobody is talking about...USB 3.0 B

I see. I work in IT and there is a Micro B USB? I didn't even know this.

Will a 1 AMP output be able to charge this phone?

You've never seen the Micro 3.0 B USB connector on an external hard drive? There are a ton of them out there.

I'm using an external 1.5tb Toshiba portable for work. Here's the port on the device:

hdtc615xk3b1.jpg

From everything that's been mentioned, my understanding is that it should be backwards compatible. I'm sure a 1Amp charge rate will be much slower, but should still be possible to charge.

Upvote 0
Not really. It may seem a bit early to be including it in a smartphone, yet I'd rather have it, than not. I also celebrate the fact that Samsung uses standard connectors, not proprietary over priced connectors like Apple does.

In the future when we dock our phones into our cars and they control them for us there will be a need for a faster protocol but for now I still think its overkill. True I'd rather have the fastest and latest on my phone but the only reason I can think of to dock the phone for any reason is to transfer files to and from the phone and USB 2 is faster than both the onboard and external memory we have available to us.

I think drex has it nailed when he said the only benefits may be for charging. Eventually we'll be glad we have it I'm sure, but in the world I live in (and will use the phone in) the 2.0 will meet my needs.

The 64 bit architecture is in the same boat but even though right now nothing will take advantage of it I'm still happy its there. I bet we'll see some OS modifications that will at least take advantage of that sooner or later and the next generations of phones will add it too just to keep up with sammy and once its out there devs will look to use it.

Upvote 0
In the future when we dock our phones into our cars and they control them for us there will be a need for a faster protocol but for now I still think its overkill. True I'd rather have the fastest and latest on my phone but the only reason I can think of to dock the phone for any reason is to transfer files to and from the phone and USB 2 is faster than both the onboard and external memory we have available to us.

I think drex has it nailed when he said the only benefits may be for charging. Eventually we'll be glad we have it I'm sure, but in the world I live in (and will use the phone in) the 2.0 will meet my needs.

The 64 bit architecture is in the same boat but even though right now nothing will take advantage of it I'm still happy its there. I bet we'll see some OS modifications that will at least take advantage of that sooner or later and the next generations of phones will add it too just to keep up with sammy and once its out there devs will look to use it.

I agree. None of the devices I use have USB 3.0, so for me, this will be overkill...but I'm sure there are quite a few out there that it'll be a pleasant addition.

Upvote 0
If this phone will charge slow using a car charger that will only output 1 AMP, then if you use this on your phone while you do GPS, it will never get charged. In fact, you will just drain slower until it ran out of juice.

So that means you need to buy new charger for this phone that has more than 1 AMP output.

Micro B USB interface is for USB 3.0 only right? I always have USB 2.0 device. No wonder I don't know about it until few days ago here.

Upvote 0
If this phone will charge slow using a car charger that will only output 1 AMP, then if you use this on your phone while you do GPS, it will never get charged. In fact, you will just drain slower until it ran out of juice.

So that means you need to buy new charger for this phone that has more than 1 AMP output.

Micro B USB interface is for USB 3.0 only right? I always have USB 2.0 device. No wonder I don't know about it until few days ago here.

I was about to ask if you had the Note 2, but noticed in the profile that you don't.

Many people experienced this with the Note 2, which requires a 2amp charger, in order to charge at the normal rate. I personally have had 2amp chargers (both car and home) since I purchased the Note 2 last year, so I'm all set, but this is a very good point to bring up for those that didn't get the Note 2.

For those that want some information on 2amp chargers, the Note 2 forums have a ton of posts linking to sites and places many people have purchased 2 amp chargers.

Reactions: chong67
Upvote 0
Reactions: jetguat
Upvote 0
I like the dual port car charger with the 2.1amp. Silly question maybe. What is the most amps you can get out of a car charger. Do they sell 3A? more? would like to charge the N3 as fast as possible in the car. to allow for charging and for use.

2.1 per port is the highest I've seen anywhere. And quite honestly, I don't personally believe it puts out that much (more likely somewhere between 1.5-2.0). They sell 3.1 amp (total) dual port chargers that split 2.1/1.0.

I had purchased a split 4.2 amp dual charger from ebay that worked well also, but I like the Scosche better because it was a known brand (e.g. A company that I could contact if something went wrong) and had a slimmer form factor.

2.1 amp charger would charge the fastest of all, but definitely won't be as fast as a wall charger. It should, however, charge a phone while using NAV.

Upvote 0
What's up everybody. It's been a crazy weekend for me and haven't really had time to sit down with my phone and set it up properly, but at work today, I took some time to test out certain things on USB 3.0.

Here are some things I wanted to point out:
1) USB 3.0 absolutely transfers files faster, even if using a USB 2.0 port on a computer. I took a picture (using my Photon, so excuse the grainy pic) of the transfer time for 16.5gb worth of music that I'm currently transferring to the phone and didn't have a chance to do at home. That amount of music would usually take much longer than 1 hour using a USB 2.0 micro USB. Although the placement of the "micro USB" portion of the 3.0 port is awkward on the Note 3 (slightly off center), I still feel like USB 3.0 is a welcome addition already! Oh, and when I first plugged in 1 hour ago, I was at 20% and am already at 40%, so charge rate definitely seems to be faster (even though all of my work PC's USB ports are 2.0, not 3.0).

2013-10-07_14-17-52_280.jpg

2) The Amazon USB 3.0 B cables I purchased from Amazon work absolutely perfect. I bought the 6feet 2 pack (although, as someone had pointed out before, these aren't great for use in the car, due to their bulkiness, so if someone finds a thinner form factor, please post that info up):
Amazon.com : Cable Matters 2 Pack, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A to Micro-B Cable in Black 6 Feet : Electronics

Based on post #1, that's already proof that the Amazon cables work perfectly with the computer, but here's a pic of it plugged into my iSound charger with the Amazon cable:
2013-10-07_11-32-59_552.jpg

Upvote 0
Does the phone come with a usb 3.0 cable ?

Thatd be really shitty if for 300$ + it comes with a 2.0 cable.

Yup. That's why this thread was started in the first place because not many blogs had been talking about it. Comes with a Micro USB 3.0 B (male) cable w/ USB 3.0 (female).

I don't have any USB 3.0 ports on any of the computers I use (all USB 2.0), but I definitely notice the difference in transferring data.

Upvote 0
1) USB 3.0 absolutely transfers files faster, even if using a USB 2.0 port on a computer

I'm psyched you're getting great speeds, but I find that hard to accept. Did you compare it to using a USB2 cable on your Note 3, or are you comparing it to the speed you used to get with your old Note 2? I can easily believe that Note 3 transfers faster than Note 2 when both are using USB2 connections. Maybe it was a marginal USB2 cable or even a USB1 cable?

Upvote 0
I'm psyched you're getting great speeds, but I find that hard to accept. Did you compare it to using a USB2 cable on your Note 3, or are you comparing it to the speed you used to get with your old Note 2? I can easily believe that Note 3 transfers faster than Note 2 when both are using USB2 connections. Maybe it was a marginal USB2 cable or even a USB1 cable?

It was in comparison to usb 2.0 transfers with the Note 2, but definitely not a bad cable since i had a oem Samsung.

Reactions: rawhide85
Upvote 0
...although, as someone had pointed out before, these aren't great for use in the car, due to their bulkiness, so if someone finds a thinner form factor, please post that info up.

The good news is I found one. The bad news is that after I got mine ordered a few days ago, it's now listed as out of stock.

Also, the charger in the UK box is the travel charger and I've found two (in the UK) which are OEM ordinary wall chargers with the correct cable - 1.5m or 1m. They also have the more flexible cable and I actually needed a couple more wall chargers anyway.
Link 1
Link 2
[URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-Charger-Protector-InventCase

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones