• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Specs: HTC Incredible VS Samsung Galaxy S

Isn't the Galaxy S supposed to cost $1000 unsubsidized? How much cheaper do you think it can get subsidized? $800? $750? That's still a lot more expensive than the Droid Incredible.
No. There's been no word of it being more expensive. The iPhone sets the top bar and Samsung isn't known for expensive phones. I'd be astonished if its more than $199 subsidized.

Upvote 0
Phone programming is not like windows programming. Having something like a GPU like the Samsung Galaxy means very few programs will take advantage of it until one to two years later when it's already obsolete. Skype would work on the EVO for instance because it's the same processor. The samsung probably not. I remember a few windows mobile phones having an Nvidia chip inside and only one game took advantage of it. Most developers are going to aim for as many customers as possible not a one off. The big change would be if intel brings a chip in capable of native x86 code.

Upvote 0
There's a Samsung rep that comes into our store every so often, but the whole deal with the Galaxy S is that, Samsung will be releasing the phone to ALL carriers at the same time. So when the marketing develops it won't have a VZW logo, T-MO, or AT&T logo in the commercial, just the phone. The phone is said to be launched Q3 this year.

Upvote 0
ps3 supposedly handles half the triangles of xbox 360, but the unbiased knows that overall graphics and performance are superior on a properly cell-utilizing ps3 game.

Like the above said, the graphics processor will make the phone a little faster, how that translates into regular 2D applications is questionable. If the phone is within 100 dollars of the incredible, then I think it's worth it. More than that and probably not. Also, unless it comes with an interface that is actually easy to 3D game on (like real buttons and a joystick), then I don't understand what it will do for me.

Upvote 0
There's a Samsung rep that comes into our store every so often, but the whole deal with the Galaxy S is that, Samsung will be releasing the phone to ALL carriers at the same time. So when the marketing develops it won't have a VZW logo, T-MO, or AT&T logo in the commercial, just the phone. The phone is said to be launched Q3 this year.

This.

They want to release the phone for all 4 major carriers. Whether they can actually do so remains to be seen, as well as whether Samsung can finally release a good smartphone. On paper, this is a better phone for most than even the Sprint-only EVO 4G.

That said, I'm not waiting, nor do I feel it offers enough perks for me to upgrade my Incredible half a year from now.

Upvote 0
Phone programming is not like windows programming. Having something like a GPU like the Samsung Galaxy means very few programs will take advantage of it until one to two years later when it's already obsolete. Skype would work on the EVO for instance because it's the same processor. The samsung probably not. I remember a few windows mobile phones having an Nvidia chip inside and only one game took advantage of it. Most developers are going to aim for as many customers as possible not a one off. The big change would be if intel brings a chip in capable of native x86 code.

Wow. I didn't realize that Android prospective owners have such low expectations of their phones. Ever use an iPhone? There are TONS of apps, mostly games which make very heavy use of the GPU. As Android phone become capable, the iPhone apps will be ported to Android and perform better on phones with powerful GPUs.

Upvote 0
Hopefully the Galaxy S will come to verizon as the latest rumor indicates and hopefully before Q3. I am waiting for my upgrade, eligible now, but was waiting for incredible. Now that the S may make it to verizon, I would prefer to have that, especially a pro version. I really want a hardware qwerty, but hate the keyboard on the droid.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of Samsung phones personally. I've owned a few and they have always had a less than stellar radio in them. I'm actually using a Samsung phone right now and it has been a awful experience. It drops calls and overall gets a very poor signal.

Even the Omnia was a bit below average for signal quality. It has always been a huge weakness in Samsung phones besides their whole lack of software support.

Upvote 0
Wow. I didn't realize that Android prospective owners have such low expectations of their phones. Ever use an iPhone? There are TONS of apps, mostly games which make very heavy use of the GPU. As Android phone become capable, the iPhone apps will be ported to Android and perform better on phones with powerful GPUs.
Apple's latest restriction to require all apps to be written in objective C makes it harder for developers to dual develop apps on both platforms simultaneously.

I'd still like NewToy Inc to port their games to Android.

Upvote 0
Apple's latest restriction to require all apps to be written in objective C makes it harder for developers to dual develop apps on both platforms simultaneously.

I'd still like NewToy Inc to port their games to Android.
Apple changed the terms to force objective-C, C or C++. Most games are written in C or C++ with graphics code in Open GL.

Google recently added support for Open GL through their NDK which allows you to write in C or C++.

This will make most of the guts of games easier to port to Android.
DD Tech-talk 1: Nexus versus iPhone 3GS Distinctive’s News Releases

Upvote 0
Isn't the Galaxy S supposed to cost $1000 unsubsidized? How much cheaper do you think it can get subsidized? $800? $750? That's still a lot more expensive than the Droid Incredible.

And when YOU are the manufacturer for the screen... and the processor.... and pretty much everything else too, prices can be whatever you want really. :) It'll probably cost $3-400 to make, sell at $600, and then come in at $199 on contract just like everything else lol

Upvote 0
And when YOU are the manufacturer for the screen... and the processor.... and pretty much everything else too, prices can be whatever you want really. :) It'll probably cost $3-400 to make, sell at $600, and then come in at $199 on contract just like everything else lol
That doesn't change the fact that it will be at the price the manufacturer is selling it for.

Upvote 0
That doesn't change the fact that it will be at the price the manufacturer is selling it for.
There is no way the Galaxy S will list for more than $199 w 2yr commitment. Its silly to think otherwise. There is no precedent. Its not much different from other phones already available. Samsung is considered an inexpensive brand. The iPhone will be more capable in most respects and will be $199 or less. You are referencing an unsubsidized price in Russia. Not a close comparison. The iPhone 3GS sells for 35,500 rupees in India which is $800 US. Yet it sells here for $199.

Upvote 0
You know, there's something that I didn't see anyone mention (though I was only scanning most of it) is that SenseUI REALLY changes the way you use an HTC phone. Samsung, while their specs sound great, often RUIN phones with crappy UI. Look at the Omnia 2. If you disable the silly TouchWiz, the phone was actually fairly decent. Load up one of the other UI's built for Windows Mobile and the thing sped along pretty well. Whenever you had TouchWiz loaded, however, the phone is A SLOW, LAGGY DOORSTOP. If the Galaxy is loaded with Sangun's UI components, and like Sense is much harder to completely disable than a skin on WM... then no matter how quick it SHOULD be because of the specs, it might chug along no faster than an Eris running 2.1 and playing Flash content.

Upvote 0
You know, there's something that I didn't see anyone mention (though I was only scanning most of it) is that SenseUI REALLY changes the way you use an HTC phone. Samsung, while their specs sound great, often RUIN phones with crappy UI. Look at the Omnia 2. If you disable the silly TouchWiz, the phone was actually fairly decent. Load up one of the other UI's built for Windows Mobile and the thing sped along pretty well. Whenever you had TouchWiz loaded, however, the phone is A SLOW, LAGGY DOORSTOP. If the Galaxy is loaded with Sangun's UI components, and like Sense is much harder to completely disable than a skin on WM... then no matter how quick it SHOULD be because of the specs, it might chug along no faster than an Eris running 2.1 and playing Flash content.

The Galaxy S UI looks amazingly bad. They need to hire someone with basic UI design skills. Stock Android looks much better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones