• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speech to Text app?

Hello. I just recently got my Evo and I'm learning about the confusing world of apps! Is there an app that will allow me to say my message and it will type it for me and send it? So I can text easier in the car?
u should already have this its an app called voice search. tap button an say send text to .........and it should open a screen with said contact as the recipient. tap the mic in nthe bottom right corner and speak ur message. can also be used to google search by saying. ex: dominos pizza then ur zip code. it will open google with the search results for what you said. you can also say call ...... and it will call contact. theres usually a microphone button available for any field you can enter text. most on ur keyboard except google search its at the top right of the search bar.

Upvote 0
Hello. I just recently got my Evo and I'm learning about the confusing world of apps! Is there an app that will allow me to say my message and it will type it for me and send it? So I can text easier in the car?

I don't know about sending it, but most keyboard apps come with this feature built right into them, no additional apps needed. I'm using 'Ultra Keyboard', and it's built right into it. It's also built into the keyboard that came with my DX. Anyhow, if your keyboard doesn't have the little microphone icon, download 'Ultra Keyboard' and give it a try. All you need to do is press the microphone icon and then when the window pops up on your screen that says 'speak now', you just talk into it.

I would suggest only saying a sentence at a time. Otherwise it can get a bit confused. Talk at a normal pace, and speak clearly, and it should do a great job for you. You also say 'comma', 'period', 'quote' and those types of things if you want them in your text. Just play with it a little. It's far from perfect, but with a little patience you'll get used to it. I use it when I'm driving. Like you said, it's much safer than texting behind the wheel.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones