speech to text email app?

1. jfolliard

jfolliard Well-Known Member

HTC Sprint Hero - 1.5

newb here - I'd like an email app which supports/provides speech to text. Any ideas? I use handcent for IM and it has such a function. but I don't think the stock email client app on the Hero supports speech to text.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Vlingo is the only app I can think of. You can compose and send mail using voice to text. For example, you can click on homescreen widget icon, say "email xxxx subject xxxx message xxxxx" and send. Unfortunately, you can only use this through the widget and not the mail app itself. So you won't be able to reply to a message in your mail app using voice to txt. Another downside to vlingo is that it cost $9.99.
  3. jfolliard

jfolliard Well-Known Member

thanks but a Market search on vlingo didn't produce anything?
  4. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Sorry, it's for 2.1 and up. I didn't think of that when I first replied.
  5. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

I have Speech-to-Text working after I upgraded my Sprint HTC Hero to the latest release of Android 2.1 available on HTC & Sprints websites. After I upgraded my Sprint HTC Hero to Android 2.1, I went into settings and installed the Text-to-Speech' voice data, and I downloaded the HTC-IME (low-res) keyboard from XDA website which has a 'microphone' key on it. Now, I can Speech-to-Text anywhere the keyboard is displayed in any text box. BTW, Handcent and even SMS Popup will read SMS messages to me with this Sprint HTC Hero with this Android 2.1 combination as well.

I don't know if you want to upgrade your Sprint Hero to Android 2.1 like I did, but there it is.
  6. BRIXTON

BRIXTON Member