Speech to Text & Text to Speech

Last Updated:

1. MrDetermination

MrDetermination Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I would like to be able to “say” an email or text message to myself or my wife sometimes. When I hold down the input field I get an input choice menu but the only option there is the Android Keyboard. Am I doing it wrong? What am I missing?

I would also like to have it read emails to me, and word docs (or just .txt). I have a Kindle but my phone is a little more convenient for something I would rather read in bits and pieces while walking to and fro the car or whatever.

Advertisement
  2. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Handcent offers Speech to Txt, as for reading it back to you, there is an app out there, but I cant recall what it was called, something like SMS Talker maybe? Not 100% sure, but I did have it at one point.

3. HardCache

HardCache Well-Known Member

Handcent SMS will also read your messages back to you. I don't know if there is an app that will do both of these for your e-mail though.

4. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Ha, thanks HardCache! I never knew it did both.

5. Russellmaniakw

Russellmaniakw Well-Known Member

Is there an app out there that lets you dictate a note to self or something like that? I know there is the ability to put "sticky notes" on your homescreen. Can you create a sticky note using voice command? This would be really handy for if you remember on your way to work that you need to pick up milk on the way home or something so you want to set a reminder but can't type at the time.

6. melmigs

melmigs Well-Known Member

"Note Everything" allows you to create text, voice, and paint notes.

7. ajm144k

ajm144k Well-Known Member

SMS Popup will read your text messages to you, and translate your voice into text messages. Plus a LOT of other customizations for your text messages.

8. yogadroid

yogadroid New Member

think im thick but, what is this text to speech n how does it work? ive pressed the install voice data, it took me to the background data to go on the market thing. ive installed it and now i dont know what to do and also its not showing that iv installed it on the download, yet i know its there. so if i dont want it, how do i get rid of it!!!
    thanks

9. Krisis

Krisis Member

Text To Speech is a service used by several programs, such as Google Maps Navigation, and Handcent SMS, among others. It is called by the program, which feeds the text in and the voice outputs according to your settings (rate, volume, American or British English, etc). You would probably not want to get rid of the service, it just doesn't work as a program itself, like you were expecting.