speech to text??Support

Last Updated:

1. bword

bword Well-Known Member

Is there a way to speak into my headphones and have the phone type from my speech into say a SMS ? So when im driving I can text without looking for instance ?

Advertisement
  2. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

I couldn't get this to work either but I believe that this will be functional with Froyo.

Froyo is going to enable voice command support via Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure that this will enable the functionality for wired headsets as well.
  3. Grut

Grut Well-Known Member

Speech to text is available NOW! Check out the app "VLINGO". It's FREE, AMAZING and just what you're looking for. I use it all the time and love it. Check it out and let me know what you think.....
  4. Shelbster

Shelbster Guest

I have speech to text without either froyo or vlingo. When I go into my text messages and use the android keyboard, there is a little microphone at the bottom of the keyboard to the left of the spacebar. It allows me to talk into the phone and it converts my speech to text.

I don't recall what program I downloaded to enable this. I have google voice installed. I also went into the settings on the phone, clicked on text to speech, then clicked on "install voice data."

I think it was one of these two things that enabled the speech to text. Hope this helps.
  5. mterrence5

mterrence5 Member

i dont know about headset but you MUST be using the android keyboard for this. Samsung and Swype do not have speech to text.
  6. harryzwd

harryzwd Well-Known Member

exactly, switch input method to android keyboard and hit the mic key, talk away and it will write a text, i use it all the time and it works great, just talk slow and clear....you'll be amazed at how well it works.
  7. rfound

rfound Well-Known Member

Slow and clear, avoid contractions, and it works pretty good. Only works when you have a solid net connection though, I believe it send the voice out over the network then downloads the text.

Sometimes google is just plain cool/crazy.
  8. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

I thought the OP was asking how to text using voice from start to finish; including initiating the text message.

I believe with Froyo and the app mentioned above, you can say "Text <contact> and it will open a new mms to that contact.
  9. bword

bword Well-Known Member

That was what I was looking for thanks!!
  10. pac0naut

pac0naut Well-Known Member

Mine never worked. It would just error out.

Actually....son of a biscuit. It works now.
  11. exompt

exompt Member

Has anyone noticed some easter eggs when saying something into it and it replies with something else? I have noticed that it will type in :) when you say smiley face. It will also type XXXX when you cuss.
  12. plmuthu25

plmuthu25 New Member

hey folks, can anyone tell me how speech to text works
  13. coolbreez69

coolbreez69 New Member

Very good it works for me I really love this thanks for the info hummm now it would be nice if my home computer would do this.