• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speed Limit application

Amorenn

Lurker
Oct 29, 2010
I've been looking for a good application that has a real time speed limit for roads, as I live in a place where they don't exactly like to put up many speed limit signs. Does anyone know of one that is GPS enabled, and tracks the speed limit by your gps location? This may be impossible, but I am just wondering if anyone has stumbled across an application similar to this. Does not need to be fancy, just work :) Thanks.

/Flameshield on
(Read the last thread similar to these, all that happened was he got flamed)

Reactions: funkylogik
The problem is not the app, it's the data and keeping it accurate. I do know this functionality is available in a true navigation app like sygic mobile maps or navigon. Maybe even waze (but be advised the data should not be trusted to be 100% accurate!).

This is definitely the biggest issue. This is why BMW's new system (not available everywhere) actually uses a camera to read roadside speed limit signs and displays that in the HUD. The only other options I can think of would be to crowdsource it which is too unreliable for something like this, or to hope that local municipalities post that info online...

Upvote 0
This is definitely the biggest issue. This is why BMW's new system (not available everywhere) actually uses a camera to read roadside speed limit signs and displays that in the HUD. The only other options I can think of would be to crowdsource it which is too unreliable for something like this, or to hope that local municipalities post that info online...

Look at wikispeedia.org. Its the only public database.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones