1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Speed Limit application

Last Updated:

1. Amorenn

Amorenn New Member This Topic's Starter

I've been looking for a good application that has a real time speed limit for roads, as I live in a place where they don't exactly like to put up many speed limit signs. Does anyone know of one that is GPS enabled, and tracks the speed limit by your gps location? This may be impossible, but I am just wondering if anyone has stumbled across an application similar to this. Does not need to be fancy, just work :) Thanks.

/Flameshield on
    (Read the last thread similar to these, all that happened was he got flamed)

Advertisement
    funkylogik likes this.
  2. jev

jev Well-Known Member

The problem is not the app, it's the data and keeping it accurate. I do know this functionality is available in a true navigation app like sygic mobile maps or navigon. Maybe even waze (but be advised the data should not be trusted to be 100% accurate!).

3. Tangent

Tangent Well-Known Member

This is definitely the biggest issue. This is why BMW's new system (not available everywhere) actually uses a camera to read roadside speed limit signs and displays that in the HUD. The only other options I can think of would be to crowdsource it which is too unreliable for something like this, or to hope that local municipalities post that info online...

4. Mr. Boom

Mr. Boom Well-Known Member

My Garmin Nuvi does this through the location alone, and it is right on the gnat's ass, always! no reason why it can't work on Google Nav!

5. sitlet

sitlet Banned

SpeedView will show your current speed, and let you set a predetermined limit and warn you. But other than that, I havent seen an app that has all the roads limits built in.

6. carterson2

carterson2 Member

Look at wikispeedia.org. Its the only public database.

7. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

CoPilot has this feature and it works most of the time. I have found places where it doesn't have the correct speed and places where it has non at all and sometimes it doesn't change exactly where the speed does. Not exactly perfect, but it does have the feature.

Just FYI

8. steiny180

steiny180 Well-Known Member

9. doc1964

doc1964 Well-Known Member

Camalert warns of safety or speed cameras and also has many road speed limits available. You can set it to repeatedly warn you if you exceed the limit. Excellent app. I have used it for years. Try it free and then if you wish you can subscribe for weekly camera updates