• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speed limit application

I need fewer speeding tickets. I've tried voting in local elections but that doesn't seem to help. So I'm left to looking at applications that can help me keep my speed in check.

I really like this application for iPhone, but it doesn't seem to have an Android port. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. It has a database of speed limits and notifies you when your phone's GPS reports you have exceeded those limits. The database is user-updated so it should be fairly accurate and current. It also has a really classy GUI.

Is there anything currently in the Android market that can help me? I've tried Trapster, but it doesn't have the functions I'm looking for. It also was pretty annoying as it constantly went off for every potential copper hiding place.

In other parts of the country we have these things alongside the road called speed-limit signs. You look at these signs and compare them to the reading on your cars speedometer. If the speedometer's reading is higher than the number on the speed limit sign then you're at risk of a ticket.

At the next election, vote for speed limit signs.

;)

And if my phone ever started beeping or buzzing or whatever every time I busted the speed limit, I'd throw the damned thing out the window.

Upvote 0
In other parts of the country we have these things alongside the road called speed-limit signs. You look at these signs and compare them to the reading on your cars speedometer. If the speedometer's reading is higher than the number on the speed limit sign then you're at risk of a ticket.

In my part of the country (the part no one in their right mind would ever want to go ;)), you can turn onto a road and drive for literally miles and miles on end without ever seeing one single speed limit sign. Cops like issuing speeding tickets, too... and believe it or not, one time when I was pulled for doing 66mph, the officer actually asked me what the speed limit was on that section because he had no idea.

A lot of the speed limit signs we do actually have seem to like changing randomly as well. One day you will be driving down the road and see a speed limit sign that says 40. The very next day, that same sign will say 50. The following day it will say 35.

Oh yeah, and stop signs at most intersections are literally about 20' back away from the road you are turning on to. If you are the second car back in line, and the first car runs the stop sign and pulls up to the side of the road to stop (leaving you stopped at the stop sign), don't assume you've stopped at the stop sign and are safe to go. You have to stop a second time at the side of the road 20' in front of the stop sign, or you'll get a ticket for running the stop sign.

Oh yeah... and right turn on red after stop? Omit that last part. Right turn on red. If cars are trying to turn on their green arrow, just lay on the horn and flip them off. No need to stop for red lights.

But anyway... back on topic and off my rant about how much I absolutely despise this state... That app looks killer. OP - If you find an app like it, PLEASEEEEEE... come back here and post it up so the rest of us know about it. :D

Upvote 0
I'd be leery of relying on an app as well. Especially if you live in an area where the limits are frequently changing. Definitely take responsibility for your own driving or at least use the cruise control.

What are you doing in the car that's preventing you from maintaining proper speed? That's a fundamental driving skill.

I'm a leadfoot but I'm definitely aware of my speed.

Upvote 0
Do you need an app to show the double yellow lines to remember which lane to stay in?
Come on

Look at Trapster, it's more useful

Ya know... I don't say things like this very often, but... Can you even read? Jesus, I don't think you can. You obviously missed my rather lengthy post and jumped right to the insults. I think we already have enough trolls around here.

Upvote 0
I think I'd learn to move to another state.

While they were extremely frustrating at first, once you memorize where they are you tend to do 80, slow down to 74, then back up to 80 as soon as you pass them. They're completely self defeating. Only morons and people from out of state get flashed any more.

I love the weather and the lax gun laws out here too much to move. I'm 4 hours from the beaches in Rocky Point, 5 hours from San Diego, and 2 hours from 70 degree weather in the summer and snow in the winter. I can deal with a few cameras.

Upvote 0
A lot of the speed limit signs we do actually have seem to like changing randomly as well. One day you will be driving down the road and see a speed limit sign that says 40. The very next day, that same sign will say 50. The following day it will say 35.

Sarcasm is hard to detect online, speed limit signs don't normally do this, so please refrain from calling me a troll.

If people would pay attention we wouldn't need red light cameras that cause more accidents and changing speed limits.

Upvote 0
I have not seen an app for this in Android, there is one for Nokia S60, I used just to see it working, not much use for me, I already have to many gadgets telling me I am going to fast besides the cops lol, my GPS tells me how fast I am going my cellphone used to tell me how fast I was going and so did the car speedometer lol.

Upvote 0
Sarcasm is hard to detect online, speed limit signs don't normally do this, so please refrain from calling me a troll.

If people would pay attention we wouldn't need red light cameras that cause more accidents and changing speed limits.

I called you a troll because there doesn't seem to be much sarcasm in your post. This is what I saw.

Fadelight said:
In my part of the country (the part no one in their right mind would ever want to go ;)), you can turn onto a road and drive for literally miles and miles on end without ever seeing one single speed limit sign. Cops like issuing speeding tickets, too... and believe it or not, one time when I was pulled for doing 66mph, the officer actually asked me what the speed limit was on that section because he had no idea.

inssane said:
Do you need an app to show the double yellow lines to remember which lane to stay in?
Come on

That is why your response received the post it did. If I am mistaken, then I am sorry. If you don't want to be confused for a troll, you may want to consider a smiley face or something next time? Just a thought. ;)

Upvote 0
I don't think that relying on it is a good idea but you don't rely a diner to eat, or the newspaper to know whats going on but they are pretty cool things I think:cool: No you rely on your self but it is good to have just in case. You don't rely on seat belts to keep you from crashing :eek:but they are great just in case you do. From a programmer point of view it is a money maker:D. I would use it.

Upvote 0
I need fewer speeding tickets. I've tried voting in local elections but that doesn't seem to help. So I'm left to looking at applications that can help me keep my speed in check.

I really like this application for iPhone, but it doesn't seem to have an Android port. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. It has a database of speed limits and notifies you when your phone's GPS reports you have exceeded those limits. The database is user-updated so it should be fairly accurate and current. It also has a really classy GUI.

Is there anything currently in the Android market that can help me? I've tried Trapster, but it doesn't have the functions I'm looking for. It also was pretty annoying as it constantly went off for every potential copper hiding place.

Look up Back Seat Driver. It uses wikispeedia database which is what other apps use.

Upvote 0
I am going to fast besides the cops lol
a116.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones