• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speed test questions

bg1287

Jun 6, 2014
Royal Oak, MI
Can anyone tell me about the results here of my speed test? Kinda new to the whole thing and not exactly sure what the numbers mean. I'm comparing 3 different speeds from devices/wifi I have.

AT&T:
ATT_zps8251b3ac.png

T-Mobile:
Tmobile_zpsb816db05.png

my Wifi:
wifi_zps54ca1378.png

Could anybody tell me what these numbers mean and which one is actually the fastest connection? Though I'm assuming it's the Wifi.

The fastest here is T-Mobile.

These are measures of how fast data is transferred. Mbps is megabit per second (millions of bits per second). The larger the number the more data being transferred in the same amount of time.

To do this measurement they actually push data out (upload) and pull data down (download). If you run this app a lot on your wireless network you will see an impact on your data usage.

... Thom

Upvote 0
WiFi speed is dependent on several factors - the device used for testing, the WiFi router, the speed of the internet service the router is connected to, signal strength, etc. Also, there's several WiFi connection standards - b/g/n & ac, with b being fairly slow and ac really fast. What speed class the router and connected device are capable of makes a big difference. I routinely get anywhere from 45Mbps to 90Mbps with an n spec connection, and 175Mbps with an ac spec connection. My router should get a firmware update soon and I expect to get 300Mbps plus easily on ac spec.

IOW, WiFi is usually fairly fast, faster than most 4G, and capable of being very fast, much faster than 4G.

All that said, your WiFi results are very slow. Assuming the router is plugged into the AT&T service, which is also pretty slow, WiFi should be just as fast (slow) as AT&T. Some troubleshooting of the WiFi is probably worthwhile.

Upvote 0
Assuming the router is plugged into the AT&T service, which is also pretty slow, WiFi should be just as fast (slow) as AT&T. Some troubleshooting of the WiFi is probably worthwhile.

I believe the WiFi would be broadband through DSL/cable depending on what service OP is paying for, not through the AT&T LTE.

I'm surprised, though, that T-Mobile is faster than my Wifi? Could this be because the device is brand new possibly?
Do you have WiFi through cable/DSL/satellite? What speed are you paying for? If you're paying for a slower 3Mbps connection then that is around the speed (2.31) you could expect. Most companies list your speed on your bill.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones