Speed Test

Last Updated:

1. lennydude

lennydude Well-Known Member

I am on wifi and notice an issue with speeds.
    My PC gets roughly 21 Mbps, my iPad gets the same, but my Droid X only gets around 5000 Kbps at best...???

My question is......is the phone that bad or is it the app?????

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

im sorry for no one responding to you until now, what app are you referring to? im not sure but i think the dx can only pull in but so much data of wifi at a time.

im thinking that, but not 100% sure
  3. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this now as well. I just got a Transformer Prime and the download speed is noticeably faster. I haven't run any speed tests though.

Were you running a speed test through a website? If so, which one?
  4. lennydude

Using an app on both the iPad and Droid X and the web browser on my PC. The app is the one made by Ookla.

I mean this is not even close...........5000 K bps versus 21 M bps
  5. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

My results:
    Desktop.....Down 24.73.......Up 4.22 OOKLA website
    TF101.......Down 19.10.......Up 4.40 OOKLA app
    Droid X......Down 12.95.......Up 3.91 OOKLA app

I tried the OOKLA website with my TF101 and the results were slightly less than the app (D 13.26 U 4.01).

The test is actually downloading then uploading a small binary file to your system. It's probably an issue with the SD card write speed slowing down the test. But I'm not sure as I only have a class 2 card in my DX, yet I got higher results that you claim.

Speedtest - How results are calculated
  6. lennydude

Just did another test...............all using the same app and server......

ping d/load u/load
    Desktop 53 19060kbps 490kbps

iPad 45 22967kbps 460kbps

DX 92 1572kbps 294kbps

Needless to say, i am a bit unhappy to say the least. My DX is so slow!
  7. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

i wonder what could be causing this... are you rooted? with a rom? i would test my dx, but i dont have it anymore :( we need to get some things right first, it could be your wifi in your dx isnt picking up a strong signal...
  8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

I got about 10M down and 1.5M up on my DX and 12M up and 2M down on the Prime.

I also notice that your upload speed for all of them suck pretty hard.
  9. lennydude

yeah, the upload always starts out around 1000 kbps but you can actually see it holding back. Looks like VZW is throttling it. Have no idea why.

My DX always has had crappy speeds with VZW. On 3G it is about 1/4th the speed of a typical AT&T phone. VZW has been 100% useless when it comes to even trying to help me. Just ONE of the reasons i dropped them.

I use my DX on Page Plus Cellular now. I am on WiFi 99.9% of the time so lack of data is a none issue. 1200 minutes and 3000 texts plus 100mb of data for $29.95 a month..........no taxes.........just a total of $29.95 per month.

When i do get a newer phone, when something that is truly a good upgrade comes out, it will most likely be with AT&t..................
  10. chmodx

chmodx Well-Known Member

I have observed the same thing over time, I'm not sure what the speed rating of the wifi adapter in the DX is but it's REALLY slow compared to everything else. Like it's a B when the mininum standard today is N.
  11. stereoeclectic

stereoeclectic Well-Known Member

using my work wifi:

16.2 mbps download
    7.05 mbps upload

90.05 download
    50.62 upload
  12. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

Betting the X radio isn't as strong as the laptop, either. Always noticed that with all my phones.
  13. lennydude

Just did another speed test with my X.............

Ping: 187ms
    D/Load: 854kbps
    U/Load: 273kbps

I just can not do anything but shake my head.................. :(:(:(
  14. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

The Wi-Fi chip and the CPU can only process so much bandwidth at once. On older handsets you are probably going to see slower speeds with regards to bandwidth because of what I described above.

For example, my old Sprint HTC Hero, which is an ARMv6 CPU running at 528 MHz when not overclocked, usually pulls down a maximum of around 5 to 6 Mbps on Wi-Fi, whereas my Sprint HTC EVO 3D, which is a dual-core ARMv7 CPU running at 1.2 GHz when not overclocked, can easily pull down much more than double that on Wi-Fi. It is all about what your device's Wi-Fi chip and CPU can handle bandwidth wise. Signal strength plays a large part in the equation as well. Bandwidth speeds can be greatly reduced if there is a lot of interference or you are very far away from the Wi-Fi router. Just food for thought. I hope this helps.
    lennydude likes this.
  15. lennydude

Thought i would shed some new light on my issue.

Bought a new phone, HTC One X. It is on Straight Talk using the AT&T network.

I was at work yesterday and did a test comparison..........

HTC One X got 6.84 Mbps D/L and 1905 Kbps U/L

Droid X got only 1.23 Mbps D/L and 788 Kbps U/L

The kicker here.............LOL...........the Droid X was on WiFi and the HTC was on over the air HSPA+ (3G in my area) !!!

Difference between 1.2 M and 6.9 M is huge !!!!

16. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I ran a (just one) speedtest today with my Nexus on Verizon (4G)...

Speedtest: 27.11 down, 6.49 up.

Signal strength: -81 dBm
  17. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Showoff! Don't make me spell check you name again colchiro!
    colchiro likes this.
  18. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Actually I ran it a 2nd time and it was lower. :D
    Doit2it likes this.