Root Speed up with UD .8?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DapCorderman, Oct 22, 2010.

1. DapCorderman

DapCorderman Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    I am running UD .8. When I first flashed the ROM my phone was snappy but over the weeks has started to lag. Is there a way to gain the speed back without reflashing?

Advertisement

2. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Denver
    Try clearing your caches with a cache cleaning app. I use Cachemate about once every 2 weeks. Also, clear your dalvik cache by going into Titanium Backup - hit options or something to that affect - and clear dalvik cache. You may need to reboot after this if you don't feel the effect.

I would also suggest flashing Ultimate Droid 1.0.0. Arguably the best ROM made for the Droid 1.

cyberclaus likes this.
  3. cyberclaus

cyberclaus Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Thanks! I wasn't even having a problem with lag or anything, but reading as many posts as I can, I tried what you suggested. I went from really good to even better. I will be clearing my cache every week or 2. Thanks again SoDroid!

4. SoDroid

Dec 17, 2009
    Denver
    You're very welcome! Glad it helped. Its the only way i can keep a rom running smooth for more than 2 weeks.

5. DapCorderman

Mar 25, 2010
    Teh cache cleaning worked, thanks SoDroid. I also switched from ADW.Launcher to Launcher Pro and that made the biggest performance increase. I'm a bit hesitant to up to UD 1.0 with the many reports of issues and bad battery life.

6. SoDroid

Dec 17, 2009
    Denver
    I have had zero issues with UD1.0.0! But youre point about battery life is true. I only get maybe 10 hours of life with light-moderate use. Less if I use it a lot. I've been experimenting with pretty much every kernel and cannot extend the battery life. I do carry an extra battery tho and have had to use it.

But I run on either 1100 Interactive or 800-900 Performance. If I wanted to slow it down a bit, I'm sure the battery life would increase. Also, I'm getting about 10-14 hours on every ROM that is coming out now. For me, its not just UD1.0.0.

7. androidlover14

androidlover14 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I have noticed it too. I had awesome battery life for about a week. Then its just been bad. The only thing is is that anybody that wanted to use this rom can't really put it back and switch roms. Right now its 7 past 4 and I woke up around 6. My battery is at 40 percent. Thats with light use. And I have tried 5 different kernels. Its just too hard to switch roms b/c of how crazy good UD 1.0.0 is. I just wonder why my battery life diminished after a while.:thinking:

8. DapCorderman

Mar 25, 2010
    Update: One cache cleaning worked. Less than a day later back to sluggish. Cache cleaning did nothing. I rebooted to a boot splash screen hang. Finally got into recovery and flashed a backup. Right now all is ok but I expect the sluggish to return.

9. SoDroid

Dec 17, 2009
    Denver
    Are you running compcache by chance? That can slow things down over time. Other than that, you can try something like swapper 2 in the market. There's a thread on what it does and how its used. I'll see if I can find it. People are reporting performance increases, could be worth it.

Edit: here is the thread androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/199290-amazing-droid-performance-increase.html