• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] Speedfreak has a new home... Details here!

...Already plotting for the next attack...

Im really just thinking out loud here, after doing some more homework Im finding all kinds of things that I want to include in SpeedFreak 1.2...

...built in init.d support will mean that the 99supercharger scripts by zepplinrox and the Dalvik Relocation script written by our very own Motorhead will run on boot.

...Increasingly extensive themeing will help put more distance between the look of SpeedFreak and its Gingerbread building blocks... As the saying goes, Gimpin' aint easy, but its nessasary. Or somthing like that.

...Possible ramdisk swap?

I tried to update the wife on all of this, she bootlooped for a minute, but eventually pulled out of it. Im not sure I really like being called a developer. It just sounds so formal. I picture a guy in a lab coat sitting at a desk, and here I am wearing a pair a pajama pants and smokin a jay... It just doesnt fit... lol

Upvote 0
Any word if this rom stops the Merit phantom rebooting problem?

this only happened to me twice. and that was before i rooted. i think it had something to do with the power button. cause the two times it happened were when my phone was upside down in my pocket for an extended period of time.

hasn't happened since. if it were a hardware issue it would be more prevalent...

Upvote 0
Hey thanks Ill remember that, Ive been looking at some tutorials, and bookmarked the link you sent me.

I feel like Im moving in way more directions than I even have coordinated appendages to move with.

I should be keeping a log of my total gallons of coffee comsumed. Its sure to be borderline unbeliveable.

i know it may be asking for much, but it would be cool if you can continue to release modified themes as well.

i just don't need a rom for my phone ;-) but your styling is sweeeeet.

Reactions: jamespfassett
Upvote 0
Honestly... now that I'm getting "into the thick of it" (meant to be read; Zajchik is about to start testing speedfreakeuro.beta) Some mindless themeing sounds nice.

Im totally planning the taking the speedfreak theme a lot closer to the edge of non-Gingerbreadism, its actually the best way Ive found to make my mark on the widest range and highest total number possible of devices out there. (meant to be read; Marketing Strategy) I can do lots of things that UOT kitchen is just not capeable of yet. There are a lot of talented developers out there, and my clumsy mechanics fingers just cannot keep up. Themeing might be the only way to go.

EDIT - Oh I forgot to address Nicdalzell's question. While I was making and testing this ROM I ran it pretty hard and I never had the random reboot issue either. It could be your hardware as well. You could try flashing the ROM and just watching to see if it fixes the problem. Do you happen to have it in one of these cases?...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLK-BLUE-He...825413?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item1e73438bc5

Because I have one and it gets hot in there, somthing like that could also cause weird shit to happen. Ive drawn up the plans for retrofitting this handset with a liquid injected intercooler, but lets face it... its kind of a bush-league phone to begin with.

P.S. Im really just joking about the intercooler...

Upvote 0
This Just In, SpeedFreakEuro v1.0 has been tested and found to be 100% functional. Im applying the O.G. speedfreak theme, and soon after that I will make the official release.

Big Ups to Motorhead for his MH1.1E, and Brohn for his VIVO Brazil port, It was these two roms that I combined with a modified boot.img from SpeedFreak1.0 to make it all mesh. The framework is quite a bit different the OG SpeedFreak ROM so themeing will take a second, but the important part is... IT WORKS!!!

Reactions: zajchik
Upvote 0
i know it may be asking for much, but it would be cool if you can continue to release modified themes as well.

i just don't need a rom for my phone ;-) but your styling is sweeeeet.

My next project...

Im going to mod the Blue theme much more extensively and also if anyone has any other color sugestions, I'd love to hear them. Blue isnt for everybody, but I would certainly build a few more of these custom themes in various colors if I could get a feel for what everybody wants... so let me know.

Upvote 0
My next project...

Im going to mod the Blue theme much more extensively and also if anyone has any other color sugestions, I'd love to hear them. Blue isnt for everybody, but I would certainly build a few more of these custom themes in various colors if I could get a feel for what everybody wants... so let me know.

cool.

i'd like a white style them like that honestly. that may not be possible though.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I spoke too soon, this guy is claiming that it a rumor from the old CRT screens, and on newer lcd screens, white pixels actually draw less power, but its so small we would never notice.

http://www.seanmichaelragan.com/html/[2009-03-26]_Power_use_of_white_vs_black_screens_in_LCDs_and_CRTs.shtml

I think a white on black theme would be rad, super high vis.

You just reminded me of the teachings of socrates and I had to check it out. Question everything

Upvote 0
So far this ROM seems perfect. it is fast booting, good on battery life (had the phone on constantly screen awake playing with it for hours and still had 71% in the end) and it HAS NOT EVER phantom booted yet. whatever you did to the kernel it works perfectly. even with my preferred launcher and apps it is speedy, stable, even when overclocked. and boots FAST! great job!

EDIT: it also recharges fast. 15 minutes it went from 59% to fully charged. also, i have noticed the phone model in settings is changed to ZTE Hotrod. is that an actual ZTE model you used the stuff from or is that just creative license?

EDIT2: added, whatever you did to this ROM to eliminate the 'low space' notification and lack of sync, that's great! it never shows up and i always get my syncs to work--tested to 10MB left.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones