speedtest.net server locationsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. SUPERGALAXYS

SUPERGALAXYS Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I do a speed test from the phone via the speed test app..it says I'm on the west coast but I'm on east coast? When I do it on my pc via tethering from the phone it shows my correct location? Will my reading not be accurate since it says I'm in ca, says the closest server is like 20 miles from me but in ca?

Advertisement
  2. fangorious

fangorious Guest

Do you have the full Android data plan or a cheaper non-smartphone plan? I've read the non-smartphone plans proxy thru a very small number of servers.

3. theshibby

theshibby Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing I emailed the developer and tmobile nobody can give me a answer

Posted with G2

4. RebelScum

RebelScum Member

I'm sure your GPS is working fine, it's just not using that. I have a feeling all the app does is ping all its servers from your device, and goes with the one that happens to give the smallest ping time (latency). Sometimes, due to weird network issues, a server close to you may have a higher ping time than a further-away one.

This is just my guess, though!

5. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

^This. When I was on the $10 "web2go" plan, speedtest.net (web session, not app) had me in Kansas somewhere, when I'm in DC. I switched to the $25 "smartphone" plan, and subsequently the epc.tmobile.com APN, and T-Mo's proxy location was more in-line with my actual location.

6. SUPERGALAXYS

SUPERGALAXYS Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the smartphone plan..like I said when I tether with the phone ..on my pc its showing the correct server. Just doesn't show it when using the speedtest app..I dunno no biggie really

7. wuzzy

wuzzy Member

Same here, shows NC as my closest location and I'm nowhere near there. I tried using this app on my mytouch at the same time, and it found my closest location w/ GPS on.

Not sure how accurate this app is, running on H, I got less than 2 MBPS.

8. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

The H only signifies you are on 3G of some sort. It could be regular HSPA or HSPA+. No real way to know other than doing a speedtest.

9. theshibby

theshibby Well-Known Member

certain servers will give different results this is why im annoyed by this but i think its the app