• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speedtest - Post your results

Nexus One
T-Mobile 3G
Chicago, IL 60657

DL: 882 kbps (range 400-950max)
UL: 359 kbps

PS 1: It's not really very useful to post WiFi speeds, since there's no standard expectation: varies with your broadband connection, your type of wireless router, and the distance from your wireless access point. While there's variation in 3G speeds too dependent on where in the area you are, if you're in the middle of a 3G coverage area there are reasonable expectations.
PS 2: I made a friend sitting right next to me who's also on T-mobile measure speeds in the same locations with the same speedtest. He's on a Nokia N900 and measures ranges from 1.5Mbps to 4.5 Mbps. Clearly it's a phone issue (hardware? Firmware?)

Upvote 0
Nexus One
T-Mobile 3G
Chicago, IL 60657

DL: 882 kbps (range 400-950max)
UL: 359 kbps

PS 1: It's not really very useful to post WiFi speeds, since there's no standard expectation: varies with your broadband connection, your type of wireless router, and the distance from your wireless access point. While there's variation in 3G speeds too dependent on where in the area you are, if you're in the middle of a 3G coverage area there are reasonable expectations.
PS 2: I made a friend sitting right next to me who's also on T-mobile measure speeds in the same locations with the same speedtest. He's on a Nokia N900 and measures ranges from 1.5Mbps to 4.5 Mbps. Clearly it's a phone issue (hardware? Firmware?)

Damn. I'm in the west suburbs of Chicago. I'm getting about what you're getting and I had a friend with a mytouch3g run the test next to me and he got about the same thing as me. I hope it's not an android issue. :(

Upvote 0
I'm starting to believe that it's something that can be fixed by a firmware upgrade. It can't be totally the network (t-mobile's) because we have friends on t-mobile with other devices who get real 3G speeds. It can't be entirely the device either because some people get real 3G speeds on their Nexus One. Some devices may not be "tuned" properly to pick up the 3G signal frequency where they live ...

Upvote 0
Here in Tampa, we have a choice between Brighthouse, Comcast, and Verizon. Verizon's FIOS service is the fastest of the bunch and has a few different flavors:

Fast: 15 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up
Faster: 25 Mbps down / 15 Mbps up
Fastest: 50 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up

I couldn't resist going with the fastest. It's pricey and I may very well switch to the 25/15 plan at the end of my contract, but I should have most of the internet downloaded by then. :D

damn that's awesome! I moved to LA from Tampa actually, when FIOS was just getting popular.

Of course I would much rather have 25Mbps down/25Mbps up.

Upvote 0
Hi,
With the nexus one

In the Sacramento, CA area...

wifi:
D: 153.3 KB/S
U: 48.2 KB/S
ping: 43ms

3G:
D: 109.3 KB/s
U: 28.2 kb/s
ping: 142ms

Is that any good?

well you quote KB/s - to convert to kbps is x8. B=byte. b=bit, 8 bits to a byte.

anyways... your 3G numbers seem "normal" compared what most people are getting... 109KB/s = 874 kbps, 28KB/s = 225kbps

a bit slow on the up... quite average on the down...

Upvote 0
Results at the moment:

1.52 Mbps down
670 kbps up

Best is 2.18 Mbps down and 660 kbps up. Average of the saved results (7 runs since 12/29) is 1.47 Mbps down and 574 kbps up. Ping times are almost always < 100 ms. I just ran a test through the home network (Comcast) and got 7.37 Mbps down and 1.01 Mbps up.

pretty decent! where are you located?

Upvote 0
i've tried via the speedtest.net app on the Nexus itself, tethering via BT and USB, both check with the speedtest.net site on my macbook... and always the same results...

best I could muster was like 960 kbps up / 350 kbps down....

just could NOT break that 1Mbps barrier... not that the speeds are noticeably slow, but a FAR cry from 7.2Mbps that is supposedly what T-Mo upgraded their whole network too... obviously the data pipes in my area aren't allowing anywhere near that :(

Upvote 0
i've tried via the speedtest.net app on the Nexus itself, tethering via BT and USB, both check with the speedtest.net site on my macbook... and always the same results...

best I could muster was like 960 kbps up / 350 kbps down....

just could NOT break that 1Mbps barrier... not that the speeds are noticeably slow, but a FAR cry from 7.2Mbps that is supposedly what T-Mo upgraded their whole network too... obviously the data pipes in my area aren't allowing anywhere near that :(

To be fair only a few locations will ever give you the full 7.2Mbps. You in the US I assume? Try downloading the speedtest app from the Marketplace just to be sure since I think we're all testing the speed on the phone rather than through a website.

Upvote 0
To be fair only a few locations will ever give you the full 7.2Mbps. You in the US I assume? Try downloading the speedtest app from the Marketplace just to be sure since I think we're all testing the speed on the phone rather than through a website.

oh I know... i'm not expecting 7.2.... but i'd think 3-4 Mbps should be easily attainable if there network were not bottlenecked by the data lines...

Upvote 0
Try downloading the speedtest app from the Marketplace just to be sure since I think we're all testing the speed on the phone rather than through a website.

i guess you didn't see this:

i've tried via the speedtest.net app on the Nexus itself,

i AM using that app - i tried that and tethering... all the same speeds...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones