Speedtest Seattle

Last Updated:

1. Froghair

Froghair Member This Topic's Starter

Walked around downtown Seattle this afternoon testing 4g speeds. The bad news is it averaged a little over 2 mbs download, less than 1 up. The good news is good 3g only produced about .5 down, and about the same up, so 4g tested a lot better. By comparison, by home WiFi gives me >8 down, and about 2.5 up. 4g varied between 1-3 bars.

Any suggestions how things might be speeded up? Did not have on GPS, WiFi when testing 4g. There are a lot of tall building where I was walking, but had more consistent results up on the 37th floor of one of the office buildings; still never more than 2.6 download.

Advertisement
  2. frozndevl

frozndevl Member

Consider yourself lucky. I live up in North Seattle and I get 0-1 bar for my 4g service at all times and none at all in the office building I work in lower queen anne.

3. seretogis

seretogis Well-Known Member

I use CLEAR (WiMax) for my home broadband service in a Capitol Hill (Seattle) apartment building and get 6-10 Mbps down and over 1Mbps up, with full bars.

However, on my EVO I can't even get a 4G signal unless I go on the roof, at which point it is a max of 3Mbps down. In the Tukwila/Southcenter area I got 500Kbps down and 1Mbps up (yes, higher up than downstream speed) and it was slower than 3G.

I love the phone, but I'm really disappointed with the "4G-ness" of it considering that Seattle was one of the first metro areas with 4G coverage.

4. coreyfuncrusher

coreyfuncrusher Member

I'm in the same boat - Live in northgate and pretty disappointed in the 4g strength. I know this is the first phone on 4g, and its still being rolled out, but I would love to hear something from sprint about this. Is anyone anywhere in the US getting great connection with 4g?

5. AmericanTemplar

AmericanTemplar Well-Known Member

I'm visiting Seattle right now & coverage is pretty spotty & worst of all, 4G kills the battery. 3G is fast enough for me.

6. Mongoos150

Mongoos150 Well-Known Member

Exact same sentiment I've heard echoed in my EVO-toting friends. 3G is fast in LA (around 1.5mbps down, 1 up) which is plenty fast.

4G isn't worth the speed boost for the battery drain.

7. vtwin-racing

vtwin-racing Well-Known Member

Ive tested 4g from Lakewood to Marysville driving, and always get 1.6-1.9 down. As mentioned, not impressive for an area that's so high tech. I cant believe they still haven't gone just 10 miles more south and covered Olympia.

8. PaulR

PaulR Member

The Olympia Sprint store rep says south of Lakewood to Olympia should get 4G by the end of the year. For whatever that's worth - when I'm in Seattle and switch to 4G, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Granted, alll I do is web surfing, but I don't notice that is 4G any faster than 3G.

9. geomens

geomens Well-Known Member

I visited Seattle in June and stayed downtown. I also consistently got between 2 mbs and 3 mbs download with less than 1 up. My understanding is that 4G is restricted to less than 1 up. Compared to 3G in Miami, 4G in Seattle is about twice the speed of 3G. So for the same bill, I will not mind 4G at all.

10. svtisland

svtisland Member

I Work in downtown seattle. I get 2-3 mbps with speedtest app. One day at sprint store a tech guy showed me the speakeasy.net test on my phone and it consistently shows over 5mbps download. It seems there are wide variations on speed test depending on which test software you use. Try speakeasy.net with seattle server option.

11. odeezie

odeezie Member

I live next to the market, my signal is actually pretty solid around 4 bars. Down is about 4-5mbps.