Spell check v Predictive - Slow issue

Last Updated:

1. gnarlyDUCK

gnarlyDUCK Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The main time i feel "slowness" "lag" is while inputting Text, and i would assume we can all agree.

I was going through settings last night wondering what else i could turn off to reduce the "slow" issue. I went into the Touch input options and stumbled upon Predictive Text and Spell Correction and thought to myself....
    ::Why do I need both turned on?::

If predictive text is turned on, it will have correctly spelled words in its list. Why would spell check need to re-check for words predictive text while also spell checking what you are typing.

I tested this idea on both categories QWERTY/Phone Keypad & Compact QWERTY under Text Input settings:
    1. QWERTY/Kpad&QWERTY - all turned off.
    - Great speed, no lag, obviously missed spelled words.
    2. QWERTY = turned on just Prediction, kpad/compact = just turned on Word Completion. This had best results, fast rarely any lag, and rarely misspelled words.
    3. Everything on. The usual lag every other word.

Settings > Locale & Text > Touch Input > Text Input > Spell Correction (Unchecked).

Advertisement
  2. HeikoMax

HeikoMax Well-Known Member

Do you have haptic feedback turned on? I think most people find that with it off, there is less lag.

3. galtish

galtish New Member

Thanks for the tip, this seems to have helped reduce the keyboard lag. It seems like it still lags a bit but it doesn't seem to "pause" an input and turn it into a symbol.

4. DanielWalker

DanielWalker Well-Known Member

That was the 1st thing I turned off when I got my phone, and it stopped a lot of the lag.

If you're rooted you can also install the Gumbo kernel and viola no more lag!