Spica 5700 availability in IndiaGeneral

Last Updated:

1. beowulf

beowulf Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,
    I dont know about other countries, but its a bit difficult to lay hands on a Spica here in India. I have been trying to get one in Bangalore for about a week now, but all the dealers I called say its out of stock.

Other users can post updates in their respective cities to help users get the Spica at the best possible prices.

Bangalore: Not available anywhere
    Lowest Price quoted: Mobile Store - Rs11,129/-

Hope to get some updates.

Thanks...

Advertisement
    Murali4421 likes this.
  2. kingdave

kingdave Well-Known Member

Can you buy it on a pay as you go type basis from a European site and have it shipped to India? If you buy from the Carphone Warehouse they often have phones which are not locked to a specific network.

3. beowulf

hmmm...i dont know how cost effective it will be considering the shipping, exchange rates etc. Also, the warranty might not be applicable here.
    Its not so much about the hardware...its the OS that I want.
    Currently, the Spica seems to be the best option available that I can afford. I did check the Motorola Milestone, its nice but expensive...no HTC for me.

Optimistically speaking, stocks might be held back so that the new ones will be shipped with the Eclair...:)
    A country of over a billion...samsung just cant ignore us :p
    Thanks for the suggestion though

4. beowulf

Update: Got a heads-up from one of the samsung dealers here that he *might* get some stock by the end of this week or early next. Price quoted; 11,850/- and promised a discount since I need 3 handsets.

5. paragautkar09

paragautkar09 New Member

Hey Beowulf, can you please tell me the location where you found the price to be 11850/-. I mean plz tell me the city as well as the shop name.

6. paragautkar09

paragautkar09 New Member

Hey plz tel which city and store quotes the lowest price?

7. beowulf

If I remember right this was Aadhya telecom (or something similar) in Malleshwaram. I just called him and he gave me this price on the phone. Whatever the price...nobody seems to have any stock... :(

Is this phone discontinued??

8. iridium

iridium New Member

Channel 9 in Jayanagar.

got mine for 12.5 about two months ago.

9. Anil Kumar

Anil Kumar Member

Me too trying to buy one, I am not getting around Malleshwaram, Bangalore. As Beowulf mentioned earlier, I think may be for 2.1 Eclair update.

10. beowulf

Thanks..!!
    Called them and they quoted 12.9 for cash and 13.2 for card payment.
    Theirs still has v1.5 and she said that a service center will upgrade to v2.1.

11. sharat3

sharat3 New Member

Some top mobile stores like Sangeetha, Global Access, Univercell, Mobile Store and a few local stores in Marathalli area, Bangalore made me wait for around 2 weeks saying stock would come 2mrw, 2 days later, we don't know when it would come, blah blah...:mad::mad:

But finally managed to get it on May 7th from a local store(Vandana Communication) in Basavanagudi for 12.6k..;)

12. Anil Kumar

Anil Kumar Member

Is it with 2.1 os. If it is with 2.1, can you use it as a modem to access the internet?

13. sharat3

sharat3 New Member

It was preloaded with 2.1...dunno abt the internet stuff..

14. beowulf

Called the place, talked to a guy Avinash (same guy you got it from?). I need three handsets for myself and two friends. He said he had two with Android 1.3 (??)
    Told me that a new model is releasing with 2.1 and the Spica is already discontinued...the new(?) model will have bluetooth working and all and will obviously be priced higher at 14k+
    he didnt have any stock yet though :D.
    i wish there were more options in android :(

15. verminox

verminox New Member

Greetings. I'm from Mumbai and stock problems here as well. The Mobile Store said that it has been 'discontinued'. Losers. Croma said that it hasn't been launched yet. Losers++.

However, a Nokia/Samsung priority center called The Cell Shop has told me that they will get stocks this week or the next. When asked about the Android update, he said "it has the bluetooth transfer feature which was previously unavilable". I'm assuming that means it will be shipped with 2.1.

Price quoted: Rs. 13,500/- [cannot bargain because he seems to have monopoly with respect to stock]

16. svkndv

svkndv Well-Known Member

You can get it through ebay or infibeam, I recommend ebay india.

[​IMG]samsung galaxy spica, Mobile Phones, Mobile Accessories, 3g touch mobile items at low prices on eBay India

Make sure that the seller have i5700 not i7500

17. beowulf

ok...spica at last. got it in bangalore at SunTimes in Jayanagar. bought two for 12.5k each. ordered 3 more.
    folks in bangalore looking for the 5700 spica can call Ram at 9845663706. you can give my name (amit) for reference. I have been bugging him for a long time, he'll remember :)

thanks for the help. i'll post more info if I come across any other stores with stock in Bangalore

18. dtrockii

dtrockii New Member

Hi,
    I am facing the same problem in Mumbai.. i5700 is out of stock everywhere.
    have asked all major electronic chains and smaller shops in my locality..

Anyone knows any shop in Mumbai where i can get i5700..

19. Anil Kumar

Anil Kumar Member

As you are living in Mumbai, you can check this link Babuchak.com

20. arvindravindranath

arvindravindranath New Member

i wonder why samsung is so quiet about this,the spica is a brilliant phone,i was able to get it from a dealer in nagpur for 13500 but it was old stock,new but manufactured in dec 09,he told me the shortage was due to the general shortage of AMOLED screens,but upon further research te spica has an ordinary tft lcd screen,so why the shortage??

actually i believe its due to the fact that the spica wil contine to remain a 2g phone in india and as all android phones have 3g in india,it may not go well for the phone or the company

"BUT HEY!!,IT SAYS SO ON THE COVER!!!,ITS 3G!,WHY WOULD SAMSUNG DISCONTINUE ON ONE OF THEIR MOST LOVED PHONES??"

its 3g,ya....but look closely it only supports the 2100 and 900 mhz band,while all the 3g spectrum sold by the govt is in the 1900 mhz band....
    so our phone would effectively remain 2g

so ,my conclusion is that the phone has benn effectively discontinued by samsung,i think they didin't place close attention to details of the 3g spectrum before working on the 2.1 update

heck! i got no qualms abt it,my college and home have 20mbps and 1mbps wifi and i can live with EDGE on the move

Sent from my Samsung Spica on Aircel's Pocket Internet

21. svkndv

svkndv Well-Known Member

This could be the main reason behind shortage of device... samsung may discontinue due to this fact

22. sajanjiv

sajanjiv New Member

Are you sure about this fact? Because i read somewhere that --

""BSNL and MTNL have been allocated spectrum and currently running the 3G service in the range of 2100MHz-2110MHz downlink. The 3G spectrum auctions for the private telecom service providers in India will finally be conducted in Feb

23. noworry

noworry Active Member

I have tried BSNL 3G in my Spica and it works super fast. I was able to get 1mbps easily and watch youtube videos and all without any delay.

But, I am not sure of the spectrum used by BSNL and other carriers though !!
    Hope Airtel 3G works in my Spica, since that is my primary number.

24. noworry

noworry Active Member

So far, all the phones that i have seen has 3G in band 900/1700/2100.
    Only the new Galaxy S has 900/1900/2100 MHz band
    So, hoping that they will find some way to make 3G work with the new band in those phones.

25. arvindravindranath

arvindravindranath New Member