Spilled Water On Your Phone? Rice To The Rescue!

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

About 10 minutes ago my friend posted an explicative riddled Facebook status about spilling a glass of water on his BlackBerry. About 9 minutes ago I got a “Tip This” submission from AndroidForums about a solution for those who spill water on their phone – or even drop it fully submerged into a sink [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

3. Marsden

Marsden Member

Alright, I think I did everyone one better: monitoring the local pawpaw crop this morning (they're out, they're ripe, and they're delicious along the Potomac; if you don't know what pawpaw is, do yourself a favor and find out, preferably within the next couple of weeks, depending on your latitude), I dropped my phone in the river. Oh, yes, I did.

So I fished it out as quickly as I could (at least the water was clear) and took off the silicone case and yanked the battery and wiped everything down as well as I could. Then, actually, I continued on my merry way, because I wasn't going to be getting anywhere I could do anything serious about it for a good half hour at best, and I think I mentioned I was looking for pawpaw, of which I had not yet at that time found good examples. (I had decided to salvage the seeds from a fruit I found being eaten by ants on the ground, and I took the seeds down to the river to clean them off, whereupon the phone I'd cleverly tucked into my shirt pocket did a perfect Double Lindy into the brink. But that fruit didn't count as a good example, given that I don't like to eat ants. Or dirt.)

So about an hour and a half later I get home. I actually have a wet electronics protection/rescue kit that I use when I kayak; it consists of a 3 1/2" X 7" X 1 1/2" waterproof OtterBox and a metal case full of desiccant beads. I put the dissembled phone (after also removing the SD drive, which I might have removed along with the battery immediately after recovering the phone had I thought of it, but in any case the thing is so small it would have been difficult to keep track of if I'd done that) in this and set it in the blazing sunshine (over 90 degrees today). It got hot, and more vapor than I'd ever imagined could be in the phone condensed on the inside of the OtterBox. I wiped this off and then reclosed the set and let it cool down before giving it a final half hour in the sun; no condensation this time. Then I let everything cool down again, plopped in an old battery and the charger cable and hoped for the best while I gave some thought as to when the nearest VZW store might close for the night.

But damned if it didn't turn on without a hitch!

I know how these things go, and different problems might show up later on, but so far, so good.

4. mdeamicis

mdeamicis Well-Known Member

i hosed my droid. yes, i said hose. i was washing the truck and put my droid on the car. when i was done with the truck i started on the car and manged to launch my droid acros the driveway on a jet of water. i riped it apart and stuffed it into a box of rice for the weekend and it still works 2 months later. it has been slightly glitchy at times ever since. mostly when it gets warm it glitches bad. might just assuaron it of r a D@ now that they are considering it a replacement for the D1