• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spint Hero Battery Issues known fix Fix.. charges faster lasts longer

Thanks Jeadly, Anther question is that when I get a voicemail I also get a text message saying that I have a voicemail. Is there a setting to remove that? I'm sure I'll have ALOT more questiona about this phone...:)

The screen just lights up without it beeping. Is there a way u can do both??? Don't understand why it won't do both

Upvote 0
If you don't send a text message the message app never turns on and you won't experience the battery loss. This is the first day I have actually gone without have to re-charge my battery at least once. Although I did notice that when using ChompSMS once I send a message the message app turns back on. I think I am going to try the Handcent, as the ChompSMS still utilizes the built in SMS service and I have to go into Taskiller to kill that service after I send a text. Anyone know if Handcent also uses the built in SMS to send the messages?

My message app runs the second I reboot my phone... no message widget or anything message related is loading, so I don't understand.

Upvote 0
I think I just figured this out: Go into the application management of the phone, under settings... Make sure you have cleared ALL data, defaults, etc., from the default "messaging" application... then reboot. Remember, not JUST the default application for TXT settings, but the actual data stored in the application.

Once I did this, rebooted, my phone now appears to sleep properly....

Lee

Upvote 0
My message app runs the second I reboot my phone... no message widget or anything message related is loading, so I don't understand.
It probably still sees itself as the default app. You should be able to clear that by going. Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Messages > Clear Defaults. That should stop it from launching when you reboot.

Upvote 0
It probably still sees itself as the default app. You should be able to clear that by going. Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Messages > Clear Defaults. That should stop it from launching when you reboot.

Okay, one day after switching to Handcent (and removing locale) and my improvements were marked. Instead of complaining and 10% battery by noon I still had 23% left last night when I went to bed. I believe it was about 13 hours; also I ran Waze to and from work and loaded a lot of web pages. I'm fully convinced I've applied "The Fix".

That said, the "Messages" process still runs when I boot and I do not kill it. I did go into Manage Applications and clear Defaults as well as Data. Reboot. Then I opened a contact, selected Handcent as my default SMS app. Rebooted to be safe...

I do receive incoming SMS and everything is peachy. Here are the settings I have in my Handcent app:

SMS Receive Setting
Enable popup: True
Popup settings: Screen on for popup: True
Notifications: True

Upvote 0
have tried the fix probably 20 times. have also tried master reset about the same amount. still says 100% and battery life sucks. Just swapped for a new one last night as my earpiece speaker was crackly. Same with new, cannot get the workaround to fix it. any other advice?

By the way, when I swapped phones i got the "updated" phone with the "with google" on the batt cover. The best buy reps really dont know what they are talking about. He touted the difference that they redid a whole bunch of the programs and such in the "newer model" and that the battery life problem is fixed in the new model. And batt life still sucks!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
update: Just got back from sprint store. One of the techs looked at it(he has the phone himself). He said he tried everything he could possibly try and could not get it to go away from 100%. Kept avoiding my questions at first about "the fix". Then he said he even tried that and still wouldnt work right. showed me his phone wich he said he plays with all day long and it was only awake 7% of the time, and gets over a full day battery life. He said even though its already my second phone it must be defective and to go swap out with another one at best buy. said he hasnt had one he couldnt fix yet till mine. Mine is dead within 4-5 hours. He even gave me a brand new battery. So off I go tonight to swap for my 3rd HERO in a week and a half.

Upvote 0
I have a 'non' Google version of the phone, did the Handcent fix and am running Exchange and the HTC (not Google) e-mail client and my phone sleeps perfectly (10 - 20%). The e-mail app, at least for me, isn't the problem. Me thinks you have something else awry.

It is possible. However, the only thing I configured after installing Handcent, was the email client (not Gmail) with my Exchange account and the phone immediately stopped sleeping. You can imagine my surprise after going thru a phone reset and downloading, installing and testing Handcent to make sure it worked, just to be back in the same 100% awake time boat after configuring my Exchange account on the phone. I don't doubt that you aren't experiencing something different than I, I just find it a bit fishy. ;-)

Upvote 0
IK give up on this , nothing works at all , phone still at 100 % no matter what I do , now have deleted Handcet and I am using the factory message program , makes no difference in battery life so might as well use what the phone came with

Have you done a factory reset on the phone? If not, that and a new SMS program should fix it. I know it's a major pain but if you want the phone to sleep....

Upvote 0
I am throwing in the towel on this one. I am keeping the phone of course....but done trying to figure this out. I am back up to 67% uptime. I unplugged at 5:30am this morning.

1 5 minute phone call
3 Facebook updates
2 tweets

11:00am 60% battery life. I don't know that seems kinda low..I will never make it to 10:00 tonight unless I charge it.

Waiting on a patch...

Upvote 0
update: Just got back from sprint store. One of the techs looked at it(he has the phone himself). He said he tried everything he could possibly try and could not get it to go away from 100%. Kept avoiding my questions at first about "the fix". Then he said he even tried that and still wouldnt work right. showed me his phone wich he said he plays with all day long and it was only awake 7% of the time, and gets over a full day battery life. He said even though its already my second phone it must be defective and to go swap out with another one at best buy. said he hasnt had one he couldnt fix yet till mine. Mine is dead within 4-5 hours. He even gave me a brand new battery. So off I go tonight to swap for my 3rd HERO in a week and a half.

Sorry i have been MIA guys i had to make a trip to WA to pick up my daughter. Stayed up there at my moms for a few days...
I want to go on record saying Sprint Technicians are as worthless as a fart in a blizzard... I as a lowly sales rep Fixed more tech issues than our sprint tech store ever dreamed of doing. I had to fix a ringtone bug for the corporate ATS dept. I severly doubt its your phone dude... one thing I wanna say is make sure you have updated your vis voicemail app. I have a feeling/ information that may suggest this is a dual problem that the new vis voicemail helps with as well

Im back by the way and if anyone needs additional help
I can be reached at five-oh-three 732- 0420
txt plz
Brandon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones