Splash Screen...Need Help

Last Updated:

1. theTrashcanMan

theTrashcanMan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok guys and gals. I need some help with changing to a custom splash screen. I've been reading up on it a lot and really want to change from the stock HTC Evo 4g Screen. Here's what I've tried.
    1. Download the splash screen, unzip and place the file in the AndroidSDK tools folder.
    2. Restart phone into fastboot and plug in to my laptop to get the red Fastboot USB.
    3. Open cmd prompt and type. "cd c:\androidsdk\tools"
    4. Type "fastboot flash splash1 evosplash1.rgb565" and hit enter

What I get is
    "sending 'splash1' (750 KB)... OKAY [ 0.350s]
    writing 'splash1'...FAILED (remote: not allowed)
    finished. total time: 0.351s

No, I'm not using the quotation marks and yes I am rooted, I used the unrevoked3, unrevoked forever method. Anybody who can shed some light on why I can't get this to work would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. dsEVOLVE

dsEVOLVE New Member

Apparently when rooting with Unrevoked you don't get the FASTBOOT commands you need to push a new splash screen with that method. From what I can tell this should give you back that functionality although I used a different method to get my splash screen changed.

Get ENG bootloader extended fastboot commands back after Unrevoked forever! - xda-developers

The method I used was taking a jpg, convert it to bmp so it could be recognized by a tool that converts bmp to .nb files. Found on XDA here:

http://208.100.42.21/showthread.php?t=753788

Renamed the .nb file to splash1.img. Then made a PC36IMG.ZIP with that and the android-info.txt file in it. You can download the a PC36IMG.ZIP from here with the correct android-info.txt. The link above gives you one for the Droid which of course doesn't work with the EVO.

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever
    (Under Custom Splash section)

Just change out the splash1.img file for yours, place on sd card root dir, power off, boot into bootloader, it scans and asks if you want to update. Answer yes, reboot and voila, new splash.

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

This worked tho its a bit buggy...

used the file in post two to get the hboot...everything worked fine from there...until reboot...it boots right back into hboot sooooooo... i reflashed my kernal as he suggested in that thread and everything is fine now.

4. Splaktar

Splaktar Member

public:forever [RootWiki]
    (Under Custom Splash section)

Just change out the splash1.img file for yours, place on sd card root dir, power off, boot into bootloader, it scans and asks if you want to update. Answer yes, reboot and voila, new splash.

-----

Thanks a lot. I did this last option and it worked. I used a evosplash1.rgb565 file and renamed it to splash1.img. Then placed it in the PC36IMG.ZIP from Unrevoked. I was then able to update it from the bootloader, reboot and the splash screen showed up correctly.

This seemed a lot less risky than all of the mess with the ENG bootloader where people are getting into boot loops.

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

oddly enough I tried this method 5 or six times and it didn't work :(
    sure would have been alot easier

6. thepiecesfit

thepiecesfit Member

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

honestly i don't remember how I did it but I eventually got it to work via someone else zip over on xda.

between that and changing my boot animation tho I had somehow changed my bootloader...and none of my nandroids would work. simply flashed clockwork again and all was well...but it was such a pita

your write up looks great and will hopefully help others who want to change their splash screen. I went with the red on black and absolutely love it