Spoke to a At&t rep guess what he told me!

Last Updated:

1. Jwilkin66

Jwilkin66 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I called at&t to get insurance on my captivate. While I had the rep on the phone he told me he owned a captivate. I asked him why my phone couldnt communicate with the at&t update servers and this all started after the last gps update! What he told me I'm not sure I believe. He said that at&t didn't support froyo 2.2 because of tethering and the update servers are blocking the download of froyo until they can take out the tethering option! I did'nt even ask him about froyo just about the communication error! I asked him if at&t would support froyo once the tethering is removed he said yes but did'nt know when that would be! This all sounds suspect to me!

Advertisement
  2. RCLafnjack

RCLafnjack Member

Here is where the truth lies.. I had been wondering if the teathering was really the issue, since at&t would not care to have that as an unpiad option which they are now getting revenue from $30 bucks a pop.
    This would make perfect sence to me.

3. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

It makes no sense to me. This is a valid reason in my mind but does not explain why the other 3 US carriers haven't released froyo for their Samsung devices. All the others already have froyo supported phones. Sounds like that rep doesn't know what he's talking about. Not everybody has lost communication with at&t servers and those that have (me) can reestablish a link, I did quite easily. Still though, I can see tethering delaying the release but it definitely is not the reason froyo isn't out right NOW. Once verizon et al releases froyo and at&t still hasn't then I will believe it. Unless Samsung made all the carriers agree to a simultaneous roll-out.

4. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Well-Known Member

This is complete BS.

I work for AT&T and all smart phones support tethering. To block froyo because of tethering makes NO sense. I have never heard of anything like that.

5. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

this doesnt make sense to me either as tethering is very easy to block, as well as unblock.

6. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

Being from an AT&T Rep...LOL OK. Its not hard to remove tethering from Froyo...Android is open sourcefor goodness sake. Froyo will arrive once it passes AT&TS technical certification, which is quite stringent and spans multiple weeks.

7. C.C.W.

C.C.W. Well-Known Member

AT&T is a subpar carrier who falls behind in every aspect of the mobile forefront. Waiting on them is like waiting on the 7 year itch.

Flash to Axura RC1 and forget about Froyo.

[​IMG]

8. Jwilkin66

Jwilkin66 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I thought the same thing this makes no sense! But this is what I was told! If foryo is being blocked because of tethering then remove it! It makes no sense to tell me that my communitaion error is because they are blocking foyo! Why would at&t even block a update they are'nt ready to put out. I hope we get official froyo soon but I'm starting to wonder what is going on!

9. wampro

wampro Active Member

I manage an AT&T store, not only is this not true that employee is lucky he doesn't work for me, he'd be joining the 15 million un employed. All AT&T smartphones support tethering. secondly, I own a Captivate and my captivate connects to the update servers, I just checked. I do believe if you've ever rooted your phone, however, you will not be able to get OTA's even if you unroot. I'm not 100% sure on that, just some experiences with others that have rooted. Seems to be pretty consistent.

10. Gamble1177

Gamble1177 Active Member

Except ive never rooted and get the error as well.

11. IDAHOBuck

IDAHOBuck Member

Well if the new phone Motorola Olympus comes out before the Captivate get Froyo I not going wait for it any more I get the new phone. But AT&T said by the end of the year for Android 2.2 we will see what is first.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. jeremytanner

jeremytanner Well-Known Member

And I've always rooted, flashed many roms, and I've never had the issue.

13. Newskin01

Newskin01 Member

lol, seems unfair. I've never rooted or flashed and I get the error. I'm sure they will resolve it somehow.

14. Digital Legend

Digital Legend Well-Known Member

I have a standard non rooted captivate that was having the problems connecting to the server for updates but when I apply the resolution that was posted here somewhere I can connect and check for updates again, I believe you go into settings....applications....manage applications....menu-filter.....select "all"....device management....clear data under storage.....reboot phone.....check for update. First time I tried this it didn't work, but it has worked every time since for me. & needless to say "there are no updates available...." :(

15. Newskin01

Newskin01 Member

I didn't even bother looking up a fix as I there is no update because if there was we would all know as there would be 1000 topics related to it being updated. However, I give you much thanks for this simple little fix. I'll be sure to use it.

:)

AngryLittleDad likes this.
  16. goodm0urning

goodm0urning Well-Known Member

weeks...? months you mean? months.

17. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

I know it isn't true, the rep is full of crap Since the first froyo leak the tethering and moble AP had been disabled and had to be hacked to get them working on the custom ROMs.

18. Mide

Mide Well-Known Member

Wait I don't get it. Right now, I'm using some leaked 2.2 build and I can use my captivate as an access point. When and if the real Froyo does come out does that mean AT&T will somehow restrict this ability unless I pay more money?

19. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member

If you can't connect to the update servers try a factory reset...

20. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

yes

21. Glucklichste

Glucklichste Well-Known Member

Sorry, so much to read through - is this the only way?

I recently got the Captivate, and when I tried, I wasn't able to connect to the update servers. :( It's new, but I just worked hard to get things set up ... is there any other way to remedy this? And ... does a factory reset ensure no issues down the road, or should I be concerned enough to talk an exchange?

Crap, I'm actually quite happy overall with the phone ... but I hate the idea that I might not receive official updates, esp. since I'm being good and keeping my phone legit (not rooting).

22. Mide

Mide Well-Known Member

I tried the software update but it kept on failing. I then DLed Kies_Mini_For_Captivate and was able to get my phone up to:

Baseband version
    I897UCJH7

Build Number
    ECLAIR.UCJH7

But yeah if there are any updates after that, I'm sure I'll have to do it manually through Kies.

23. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

I was just about to post this. A factory reset is what fixed my communication error.

24. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

@Jwilkin66 Thank you for the info and post; very interesting that the rep said that. However my $0.02 I agree that the rep does not know what they are talking about. Hey we are all human.

There is no real point in checking for an update becasue the update has not happened yet. But anyways, tethering is not the issue, I am 100% sure of that becasue the latest "leaked" version of froyo, when you try and tether it checks your account to see if you have tethering. And if you do not, it will not let you tether (with the included tools; there are apps in market to get around that). So AT&T knows how to and has blocked tethering in froyo.

25. MegatronVsMe

MegatronVsMe Well-Known Member

Yeah, for some reason every single time i try to check for update, it says it wont connect. And then i have to wait 24 hours to try again! Which, i think is complete BS. And i was sitting in the car with my GF and hers updated something (not 2.2 obviously) but mine said it wouldnt connect and then i had to wait 24 more hours. Its always done that.