• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spoke to HTC about screen separation today

coolguy949

Jun 5, 2010
Just got off the phone with them. As soon as I said "screen separation" his tone changed and it sounded like he already knew what to do. They said it's a known issue and it seems to be limited to a specific shipment of the phone. I assume he meant a batch of phones off the production line. This seems to be more info than we've heard before.

Anyhow, they told me they needed to take down all my info so the escalations department can handle it. They are working on a resolution to the issue. When I asked him about it some more it sounded like he started reading a scripted response about it only being a "cosmetic issue" according to their research.

He told me escalations would probably email me within 2 days to discuss. I'm holding out hope that the rep's canned response was only to make sure they at least have a response. I'm hoping HTC helps us out here since I can't seem to get anyone to tell me when more will be in stock.

I encourage everyone who has issues to call HTC so we can show them the seriousness of the problem.

I'll keep you posted.

they are saying cosmetic because most warranties don't cover cosmetic issues. Toshiba tried to pull the same thing on me with my laptop when the hinge broke. Before it completely broke off the case was cracked at both hinges. They tried to say i dropped it lol, but there was no other damage on the laptop, anywhere, because it was never dropped, its a big 17" one so its more of a desktop replacement that only gets moved once in awhile. After a lot of arguing with them and convincing the repair shop that i took it too that it was not dropped and him relaying that to Toshiba did they finally repair it for free. Not to mention all the reports online of others having the same issue. within a couple of months the cracks came back because as i told them, it was a design issue, and normal use of closing and opening the lcd screen puts too much pressure on the case where it meats the hinge and causes it to crack.

I have no doubt that HTC is trying to do something similar with the evos that have this issue if they are trying to say it is cosmetic, ie not covered. I luckily do not have this issue with mine, but those who do I think your only recourse might be to return it before the 30 days are up. If they do not answer you back with a reasonable solution before your 30 days are up i would not wait and just take it back, and let them know that so they get back to you quicker.

Upvote 0
Hey take a look at this thread. Its all about the issue you are having. Also dont forget to vote on the poll. I sent HTC the link to that thread. Its over 100 people having the same issue you are having.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/105952-response-htc-about-light-leakage.html

Light leakage and screen separation are not one and the same. I have a little bit of light leakage but the screen is flush and not separating. And i even dropped it once, only got a couple of unnoticeable very small dents on the plastic part around the side of the phone.

Upvote 0
Light leakage and screen separation are not one and the same. I have a little bit of light leakage but the screen is flush and not separating. And i even dropped it once, only got a couple of unnoticeable very small dents on the plastic part around the side of the phone.

I beg to differ.

CIMG1861400x410.jpg

At first it wasn't that bad, I would put slight pressure and guess what? The light leakage went away. They are one in the same. It is most definitely related.

Upvote 0
I beg to differ.

CIMG1861400x410.jpg

At first it wasn't that bad, I would put slight pressure and guess what? The light leakage went away. They are one in the same. It is most definitely related.

Everyone with screen separation will have light leakage, but everyone with light leakage will not have screen separation. My screen has a bit of light leakage at the bottom which I can only see in a dark room, but the screen is fine, no give or movement, nothing rising or sinking. and I have been using it alot since a got It, even pushing down hard from time to time to make sure I did not have this issue. They are only related because if your screen separates the leds for the bottom buttons will be exposed, so of course you will have light leakage as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones